Chapter Twenty Five - Perception

Ryder's POV

Why am I such a screw up? One of the only people in my life whom I truly care about, I hurt. I'm still trying to understand how those hurtful words left my mouth. I wasn't even thinking, my mouth was moving but my brain couldn't keep up. I was hurt, hurt that she shut me down. I have never, since me parents left me, told someone I loved them and actually meant it. So, opening up to Vivian about my feelings is a huge freaking deal, and she stopped me. She doesn't want my love, maybe she's afraid I will break her heart. Maybe I'm not good enough for her. Perhaps, she simply doesn't have romantic feelings for me..

Needless to say, I arrive twenty minutes later at the house of a girl who I know loves me. A girl who would die to be in the position Vivian was. She begs me to say the three words Vivian cannot bear to hear. One girl who loves me too much, and one who doesn't enough. Oh, universe, this love triangle sucks.

"What changed your mind?" The blonde smiles when she opens the front door of her house. I shrug and walk into her large house.

"I couldn't pass up an opportunity to hang with my favorite girlfriend," I smile.

"Your only girlfriend, you mean?" Charlotte raises a perfectly shaped eyebrow, then wraps her skinny arms around my neck. I look around the room, the furniture is all white, the walls are also white. Damn, I feel like I'm in a hospital.

"Of course," I kiss her, lifting her into my arms. She wraps her legs securely around my waist.

"You know," she breaks the kiss. "I actually need to talk to you about something." I sigh, she is still wrapped around me, her weight feeling light as a feather.

"Okay," I shrug.

"It's important, and it may be hard for you to hear.." Charlotte hesitates, then climbs down and steps away from me. I give her a look of confusion, she just looks reserved.

"I think you should sit down," she suggests, gesturing to the white couch behind me. I slowly move back and lower myself into the uncomfortable cushion.

"What is this about?"

"I-" she shakes her head once, then takes a deep breath. "It's about Vivian."

"What about her?" I ask in a harsh tone.

"A friend of mine, she knows some things about Vivian that she thinks you should know. I wouldn't have told you at all, but I know how important Vivian is to you.." Charlotte trails off. "That's another thing, I met someone."

"And?" I raise my eyebrows.

"I'll let you go to her, on one condition," Charlotte stands in front of me with her hands on her hips and a menacing look in her eyes.

"What condition?" I sigh.

"You have to listen to what my friend tells you about Vivian. She isn't who you think she is," I open and close my mouth. Normally, I wouldn't doubt Vivian and believe her, but Charlotte has a definitive tell, she would suck at poker, but I know for a fact she isn't lying.

"I'm not going to listen to lies," I snap, standing up and marching toward the front door.

"Let me guess, she told you a story about being abused and a victim, is that right?" Her words stop me mid-stride. I turn around slowly to face her, a look of sadness and smugness plaster her features.

Charlotte nods her head, as if deciding something important, then leaves the room. I am left in the white room, a room that couldn't feel any darker to me.

Perry's POV

"What the hell?" Vivian exclaims. I exhale and examine the scene in front of me. The warehouse, our only lead, is burning a brilliant fire. Smoke engulfs the surrounding air, I wonder how we didn't notice it earlier.