Chapter Forty - Love Letters

Vivian's POV

I couldn't bring myself to wreck havoc in his world, not yet. Not until I'm on my death bed, because there's a chance, a sliver of a fragment of a chance that I will not die. The lightning that struck me merely months ago has thrown my bodily functions off sync. The first month, I was able to compensate, my body hadn't recognized the subtle change yet. However, according to my brilliant doctor, as my cells divided and multiplied, the slight mutation in that first original cell had begun to spread. All the resulting cells have this mutation. And I am dying.

The mutation is harmless in a small quantity, however it resembles the cells of radiation poisoning, skin cancer, any UV damage. Presently, I am alone in this. I haven't told anyone, except Gemma of course, of my predicament. It seems arbitrary, to worry them.

"I'm back," Perry exclaims and closes the front door with a thud. I hadn't even realized he left. The past hour since Ryder stormed out, I have sat thinking about my life. The hell it has become. The hell it has always been.

"You're gonna cry sweet tears of joy when I tell you what I've found," he smiles brightly and I allow a smile to plaster on my otherwise lifeless face.

"What?"

"Your grandmother is in the car, she was just walking down the street and-"

"Gemma?" I jump from the couch and run toward the door, only to have Perry catch me in his arms, restraining me.

"Let me go-" I glare at him and push him away, with little success.

"She doesn't remember anything at all," he warns me. "She was spewing incoherent thoughts, but I recognized her from the pictures that float around here."

"She has Alzheimer's," I explain and Perry nods his head.

"I don't think it would be wise to bring her in here at all, my grandfather had Alzheimer's, and this reintroduction was too overwhelming for him to handle. He had a nervous breakdown," Perry takes my hands in his and I fight the urge to run outside.

"What are you saying?" I know exactly what he is hinting at. He wants to take her to a nursing home, where she will be isolated from her family. She will be surrounded by strangers who don't give a damn about her.

"Vivian, I just think-"

"No, Perry, you don't know her. She is my only family," I shake my head.

"It's what's best for her," he argues. "It won't sound that appealing until you see the state she's in. I don't even know how she ended up wandering the streets, I thought she was visiting your brother."

"She must've gotten back and forgotten to tell me," I look away. Damien always calculates his every move, this is chess and he is undefeated. Something is coming, I must be prepared.

"Sure," Perry rolls his eyes at my failed attempt of lying to him. "I wont pry, it isn't my place, but I will push for you to send her away - for her sake and yours."

"She can't hurt me," I scoff.

"You act so cold and reserved, but I know it's all an act. Anyone who truly cares about you can see right through that facade." He walks away from me and into the kitchen, giving me my opportunity to see Gemma. I run out of the house, not bothering to close the door behind me.

I open the passenger door to the car, and there she is. She stares at the house absently, not bothering to notice my presence. I take her hand in mine and she finally acknowledges me. When her eyes meet mine, I am shocked by the lifelessness and exhaustion.

"Gemma, I'm so glad you're okay, I've missed you so much," I smile affectionately at my grandmother. She's become dangerously frail in the time since I last saw her. Not as drastically as I have, but it is noticeable.