Letters In The Sand - Chapter 19

Chapter Nineteen * Eden

"Is it just me or does Luke keep staring at Eden" Molly said, we were sitting at the breakfast table in Lisa's kitchen. Luke had just left for work at the sports center.

"I know" Lisa exclaimed banging her fist down on the table

"You should have seen Luke in the car after day we went down to the beach, god he's so annoying"

I carried on staring at my cereal absentmindedly, then something Molly said caught my attention.

"I wonder if he likes her if you get what I mean" Luke, liking me, no chance. I'm his little sister's best friend.

"What?" I breathed

"Maybe" Lisa pondered. What? Lisa didn't think he did, did she?

"What?" I said more loudly this time.

"Think about it, he wouldn't close his mouth when he first saw you, he nearly crashed his car because he was staring at you and he went all grumpy when he saw you and James together" Lisa told me "All the fact's are there"

"And I saw the way he looked at you last night, when you thought I was asleep" Molly added, my mouth hung open and my cheeks blushed.

"Or maybe not" Lisa shrugged

"What?"

When I got home, I found mum in front of the TV as usual

"Hey honey how was last night"

"It was good" I lied "I'm going to go and get a shower see you later" I called to her as I ran up the stairs. The hot water helped sooth my mind, I sat down letting the water plummet down on my head. James was in my head again the picture of his perfect face smiling down at me on the train, the look on his face when we first kissed, the way he used to smile at me, the way he used to hold me and tell me I was his world. I didn't realize I was crying, my tears and the water from the shower merged into one as they ran down my cheeks. I only aroused from my position when Dom called from outside the door.

"Eden other people live here too you know"

"I'm coming" I sniffed. Climbing out the shower and putting on my dressing gown I grabbed a towel and started to dry my hair.

"You ok?" Asked Dom, looking at my red puffy eyes, as I walked away towards my room

"I'm fine" I mumbled the lie made me cry harder.

"Eden?" Dom asked following me. Even thought he was the most annoying person ever he could me a good brother, at times.

"What's wrong" He asked grabbing my arm. I opened my mouth to lie again and then but then I thought better of it. I told the truth, all of it.

"Oh, I'll be back soon" And he left the room. What was he doing? He came back a second later with a plastic bag in his hands.

"What's that" He pulled out a photo album and opened it I recognized the people in the photo instantly. It was Dom and his mates it was a picture of all of them on the beach around a massive campfire, when they rented a lake house one summer. Dom had his arm around a girl but you could not she her face as it had been crossed out.

"Who's that?" I asked pointing at the image of the girl with the scribble for a head.

"Scarlett, the girl I meet that first week in the holidays and I feel head over heels for her, and I thought she had for me as well.

"we spent most of the holidays telling each other how much we adored each other and how we could not stand to be apart. I spent most of my time worrying whether we would be able to stay together when the holidays ended.

"I spent so much of my time thinking how perfect she was. One day we went for a walk down the beach when she told me she and that she had to leave.

"She left me heart broken she did, haven't heard from her since" I sat their in silence as he told me his story, for the first time ever I saw my brother.

"I'm so sorry" I said hugging him

"So am I" he said "Now, you have too try and get as much out of life as you can don't let any one or anything hold you back. Ok?"

"Ok" I said looking at the photo and then I had an idea. "Can I borrow this" I asked, pointing at the album.

"Sure" he didn't ask why he stood up to leave

"Thank you Dom" he smiled at me and left the room.