Letters In The Sand - Chapter 25

Chapter Twenty-five * Eden

I was with Lisa in her room we were talking about the party as usual.

"So, who's your date then?" I asked Lisa. She grinned at me

"Well, you know Ry well he asked me and I said yes. You know I really like him. And you" she looked at me her blue eyes shining. I did have my eye on one boy Tom he worked at the garage I met him last week when I took mum's car to be fixed.

*

The day was hot I had a pair of shorts on and a vest and I was still boiling. The garage was scruffy but my mum had been having her car fixed her since she first got it when she was twenty. I walked to the counter where Joe the garage owner was sitting, Joe was a large man he has had a crush on my mum ever since I can remember and always fixed her car for the cheap.

"Hey Joe" I called

"Eden, how's your mum?" Joe asked standing up and walking around the counter

"The cars broken again"

"Why doesn't she just get a new one?" Joe asks he always asks this "I know places where you can get them cheap"

"Joe you know she loves that car even if she's breaking it all the time"

"Fine I'll take a look at it" we walked to the car

"Tom" Joe called "come take a look at this" Tom walked out of the garage he was tall with brown hair he was wearing jeans with a tight white top on.

"Hi" he said his voice was low "What's wrong with the car?"

"No idea" I shook my head. Tom lifted the bonnet and looked at the engine he was murmuring to himself about the car I just stood there feeling like an idiot.

"I haven't seen you here before you new" I asked walking around the car to stand next to him.

"Yeah just moved here from London"

"London, so how do you like it here then it's a bit different I suppose"

"Very different, there's nothing to do here and it doesn't help not knowing anyone. Everyone here seems to know each other. I only got this job 'cos Joes my uncle."

"Well hi I'm Eden," I stuck my hand out in front of me he smiled and shook it, "now you know me"

"Hi Eden" he laughed I joined in

"So what's wrong with the car?"

"The whole thing's broken it going to take a while to fix"

"Oh well it's not my car" I said shrugging I sat down on the stool and watched as tom started to work on the car.

"So, what do you do here then?" Tom asked. The question startled me.

"What do you mean?"

"What do you do for fun"

"Oh, we go to the beach mainly" I shrugged then I had an idea "Actually I'm having a party there next weekend you want to come. It'll be a good chance to meet new people."

"Sure sound good"

I spent a lot of my time at the garage that week. So now I was meeting Tom outside the garage at seven.

*

"I'm bringing a friend" I told Lisa.