Six

-Chapter Six-
Contemplation

The day seemed to come and go as Valerie and I had spend nearly the whole day talking and watching movies. When Braxton came back to the lake house he greeted my sister warmly and together the three of us prepared dinner.

"So Val, how are you enjoying this years college experience?" Braxton asked.

I could tell talking with her seemed a little forced, I felt a little bad for that considering I flipped out when I found out he and Val had gone to dinner together last year.

"Oh" I watched as she pushed around the food on her plate in an attempt to avoid eye contact...perhaps this was just as awkward for her as it was for him. "If I'd have gone to school straight out of high school I'd be done already...but being my second year isn't too bad, I had to unfortunately pull out of the sorority...I really want to focus and just graduate, and while the Greek life was fun and all, it was actually pretty exhausting."

"Exhausting?" I asked.

She nodded, "yeah we were constantly doing fundraiser for various organizations and small businesses, when we weren't doing that we had to do a lot of volunteering and to remain relevant to the other Greek houses we would put in the occasional party which of course is a bitch to clean up afterward...you know I got in because I thought it would be constant partying but to be honest that chapter really only had three big parties throughout the school year."

"Well didn't you enjoy any part of it?" Braxton asked.

"Oh don't get me wrong I really loved being in the sorority...raising money for hardworking charities, helping others who truly need the help, and being in the House means you have to maintain a certain grade point average."
She filled us in. "So in a lot of ways the organization humbled me and also gave me a better grip at being a decent human being, it also taught me how to really focus on school and set up study zones...kinda wish I had a study partner or group I could join, but I know it's kinda late in the school game to just jump into someone's established study group."

"Oh Braxton, what about Ryder?" I suggested.

He looked at me and smiled, "That's not a bad idea Gorgeous...I can set you up with my best friend Ryder if you're serious about studying a little harder." Braxton sounded.

"I remember Ryder." She recalled, "He was the one who helped you move, right?"

I nodded, "Yeah, Val he'd be a great study partner...he's in school to be a pediatrician so all he knows is studying." I smiled.

"I couldn't impose." She said, a slight blush dusting her already pinked cheeks.

"No imposition, as your sister said, Ryder's practically a professional student...trust me he really won't mind."

"Oh, well thank you."

We talked a little longer before Valerie excused herself to have a shower and go to bed (as I'd convinced her to stay the night). I went up to get her some pajamas that I'd purchased in case we have company over.

"Hey thanks for letting me stay here."

"Any time." I nodded.

"And uh...thanks for the whole study partner suggestion...I really am serious about buckling down and getting my head into the books, as much as I love learning about the subject, I kinda hate being in class so I'm trying to graduate early."