13

-Jolene-

I groaned, getting up and out of Luke's car, preparing myself to go back to school today. I'd taken the past three days off, and so did Luke. His mom didn't mind, surprisingly, but he also was a straight A student. So was I, so it didn't matter much to James.

I felt a hand grab mine as Luke and I were walking up the stairs to the main doors, the chatter and screams from the halls drowning every other sound out. I look up to Luke, seeing him grab my hand and help lead me up, knowing that if I could, I would runaway from here in a heartbeat. His hand completely covered mine, and he was blushing a bit, probably now realizing he'd grabbed my hand.

But he didn't pull away.

We walk through the doors, and I was right. I would have ran away in a heartbeat. "It's gonna be okay, alright. Look, I'm only gonna be here for first period. Me and Ashton have to do some band stuff." Luke tells me. I knew he probably felt bad for having to leave before the day's even really begun, but I knew if he was missing school for band things, it's probably important.

Now he pulled away.

"Yeah, it's okay." I say, giving him my best smile. He nods and smiles back, then we continue to walk down the hall. "So what is it you guys are doing?" I ask, trying to change the current subject.

"Just band stuff. I don't know, Ashton said we needed to work on things." He told me shrugging. I decided not to ask anything more, because I wasn't sure what to. We just kept walking down the hall, till I got to my locker and he got to his.

When I got to my locker, there was someone next to it wearing a sweatshirt with the hood up. "Can I help you?" I ask a bit harsh, mainly because they were trying to get into it. "That one's mine." The person turns around, and they took off the hood. It was a boy, with short light brown hair and hazel eyes.

"Oh.. Uhm.. I'm.. I'm really sorry. I'm new. My name's Tyler." He says and hold his hand out for me to shake it. I do, and tell him my own name; he smiled. "That's a very pretty name," he leans in and whispers, "Jolene Alaska Adams. It's very.. unique." He nods and smiles. I smile back as my form of saying thank you to his compliment, and then remember what happened.

"So then, care to explain the breaking into of my locker?" I ask him, putting my hand on my hip. "Cause you know," I begin and does the same thing as him; whispering, "you could get after school detention for that." I laugh afterwards and walk up to my locker after he moves away, and put my combo in.

"Well, it says that this was my locker. 492." He squints down at his paper.

"Oh, I get it. No, this is 493. 492 is right here." I tell him putting my Chemistry book in my locker. I pat the locker to my left and he walks to it and puts his combination into the small black lock. He says thank you, and puts his things in. "So what's your first class?" I ask. I peek at his paper when he hands it to me, and find that we have first period together. "Well, looks like you're my class buddy." I smile at him, then frown as I look past him.

I see Carly, Ally, and Mandi all laughing, pointing at me. She see's me, and runs her finger down her cheek like a tear and pouts, then begins to laugh again. I feel the lump form in my throat, before I see Tommy walk up to her. He see's her laughing, and looks to where she was pointing; to me. "Hey, I gotta go actually. They want someone to show me around for he first hour. Maybe we could meet up at lunch or something?" He asked, and I think I saw him bite his lip but I wasn't sure; I wasn't looking at him, I was looking past him. I just nodded and he left. My head dropped and I started to breath. not wanting to cry. I felt someone hug me and I actually expected it to be Luke, but I was wrong.

"Hey, look, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everything. I was such an asshole to you and you didn't deserve any of it." Tommy said. I looked up at him shocked, because this was the first time he had spoken to me in almost four months and it was to apologize. "I know you hate me, and I know that what I did to you was a really shitty thing." He looked down at his feet. "I know about the other day. I know what she did. As soon as I found out I broke up with her."

"So, what? Is it supposed to make me feel better or something?"

"No," He snapped his head up at my talking. "No, it's not. I just wanted you to know that she got a consequence. She did something you can't really apologize for. In all honestly I never thought she'd stoop to that level." His voice was quiet. I was about to say something when I heard a fist pound against a locker behind me. I jumped and turned quickly to find Luke's hand balled up, and on the locker right next to mine; Tylers.

"What the fuck are you doing here Tommy?" Luke asked incredibly bitterly. "And why the fuck are you talking to him Jolene?"

"He was apologizing, and I was giving a response." I tell him, scrunching my eyebrows together and scowling at him.

"Whatever." He mumbled. "Let's go." Huffing, he turned and walked but I just stayed where I was, watching him, completely astonished. Luke turned to look at me, but he didn't say anything. Just a confused and slightly hurt expression crossing his face.

"I'm sorry. I've got to go." I tell Tommy, and walk away, not in the mood to talk to anyone anymore.

-

"Hey guys." I say, sitting down with Ashton, Mackenzie, Calum, and even Tyler now. I put my bag down under the tree and lay down, looking up at the leaves and the small amount of light shinning through them and sigh. I haven't been able to stop thinking about what happened this morning. Whether it was a fight or a misunderstanding or argument, whatever it was; I really didn't like it.

Even though he was angry at me, he still came up to me before second period to say bye. I knew that he wasn't angry at the fact I was talking to someone other than him, he was mad because he didn't want something to happen. 

They all continued their conversations, and I think Calum and Tyler really hit it off, they seemed like best friends already. I stayed where I was, looking through the leaves to find the little glimmer of light, and thought.

This 'conflict' or whatever you want to call it was honestly bothering me very much. I come off to people sometimes who couldn't care less if someone was angry with me or if I was in a fight with somebody. But in all reality, I feel sick if I am. I can't stand the feeling of someone having a negative thought or opinion of me.

I laid there for the next thirty minutes, just thinking, before the bell finally rang, signaling fourth period.

-

this was such a shitty update and I'm so sorry oh my fuck i just needed to update very quick so that you guys didn't get annoyed