16

-Luke-

I should not have done that. I should not have just done that.

I kissed her. I fucking kissed her and I probably just ruined it. Everything.

I felt her lips slightly move against mine, but my mind told me to pull away. And I did. Her eyes were wide as she looked at me, her green eyes visible in every single way. "Uh.. I should.. I should probably go." She tells me as she gets up, hurrying as she pulls her jeans on. Curse words escaped her lips as she looked around for her swearshirt.

"Jolene, just wait." I said as I made my way to the corner of the room, where her jacket was hanging off my desk chair. She quickly stalked over to me, ripping it out of my hands and pulling it over her head.

"I.. I just need to get out of here. I need to think. And whatever the hell that was is making it harder to do so at the moment so I need to get out of here." She said, crazily waving her hands around as she spoke.

I watched her pull her converse on. And then, I watched her walk towards the door before everything processed. "Jolene.."

"I'll call you later Luke." Were her last words before she ran out of the apartment.

-

-Jolene-

"Hey sis. How about Chinese tonight?" Jason asked as I walked through the door to our apartment. As soon as I had heard the word leave his mouth, I felt sick. I wasn't his sister. His head popped out around the corner from the kitchen before he spoke again. "I'll take that as a yes. Hey, how was it at Luke's? I never heard what was up."

"It was fine." I tell him. I feel as if I'm about to gag, I can't handle this right now.

"Alright.." He says, giving me an odd look. "Hey, I heard you failed your French test. What's up with that?"

Not processing what he had said, and not caring what I say back, I simply just told him that I didn't fail it.

"Jolene, you did. I have the paper. Did you not study? What the hell happened? I mean, you're a straight A student."

"I didn't fail it James." I spit back, not wanting to deal with this. I can't even look at him.

"Jolene. Quit lying, just tell me why you failed it. Mom and dad wouldn't have been okay with it, I'm not either. He says the last part mumbled while he searches through our drawer for a paper with the Chinese restaurants number.

"Lying? I'm lying. Yeah, sorry, I would really hate it if you lied to me. Or if Troy or Rory lied to me. Fuck off."

He turned around slowly, his eyes wide. "Excuse me? Did you just tell me to fuck off? What are you even talking about, just say mom and dad."

"That's the fucking thing, isn't it 'bro.'" I use air quotes to which he raises his eyebrows at. "They aren't my fucking mom and dad, and you aren't my fucking brother."

"Jo.. What are you-"

"I got a fucking call last night, okay? I know. Oh, sorry about this, but I sorta snooped through your room. Great job on hiding the papers." After moments of silence I feel the tears start to come again. "Why the fuck didn't you tell me! You could have told me! But no, I had to get the call from my real mom. God dammit James!" Before I even know what I'm doing, I slam my fists down on the counter. James's eyes are wide, and I can see that he's at lack for words.

"Mom and dad never wanted me to tell you.. They told me it was my choice to tell you or not, but I chose to do what they did. I didn't want you to be hurt by this, Jolene.."