Chapter One

A/N: This is my first Scomiche story. Yay! These first two chapters are not edited because my life is crazy and I just didn't have time to edit. Just so you know, I don't have WiFi at home, so uploads will be once a week maybe twice if I can get to the library. It also depends on having time to write. A little insider, my little sister was diagnosed with cancer last year at age 11 and spent 6 months in the hospital. She's in remission now but the chemo she got was aggressive so it left her with a lot of medical problems we're still working through. The biggest one is that she has to learn to walk again and is wheelchair bound. So life is pretty crazy with her.

Philmont Academy was going to be Scott's new home for the next four years. He had been in boarding schools before but always went home for the summer and the holidays. Now that was over. He would be spending the next four years in this school. He knew other students stayed through holidays and summer but he didn't want to. Hee had even been told that the school did stuff at the holidays for students who stayed and they had summer activities. He could survive this.

It was the weekend before the first day of school and Scott was trying to get used to the campus. He had already had the tour and generally knew where everything was. At least he knew where the important things were. He had also met a girl named Kirstie who he had pretty much stuck to since getting here. She had also introduced him to Avi and Kevin. They were a year ahead of him but had taken him into their circle. He had learned that they all had been here since middle school.

It was Saturday and school starts Monday. Scott was nervous about keeping up with the classes. He had always been a good student but that didn't stop his nerves. They were currently sitting in the dining hall for lunch. Scott was eating and listening to Avi and Kevin argue about something. It was all in good fun though because they were both smiling and Kirstie and Scott would laugh every now and then. Scott had joined the conversation late and wasn't entirely sure what the argument was about or what it was accomplishing.

Scott turned his attention away from the others at the table. He hadn't really met too many people yet. He noticed that it seemed everyone had their own groups. He could kind of tell what each group was probably into. They had uniforms they had to wear during school hours but afterwards they could wear their own clothes. There were a lot of rules involving outfits.

Scott's eyes landed on a brown haired student sitting by himself. He seemed so small compared to everyone else. Maybe because he was secluded. His eyes were scanning over the room as he picked at his food. He wasn't really eating he was just picking a part the sandwich on his tray. Scott watched as a few paper balls were thrown at the teen who jumped and his gaze instantly dropped to his tray. He somehow looked smaller than before.

"Who are you staring at?" Kirstie asked, following Scott's gaze.

"Who is that?" Scott asked, nodding his head in the teen's direction.

"That's Mitch Grassi," she answered, not sounding too impressed. Scott's eyes stayed on the teen until his eyes moved up to Scott's and instantly back to his tray. Scott looked away because he had been caught staring.

"Yeah, the school's resident snitch," Kevin said.

"What do you mean?" Scott asked, glancing back at Mitch to see him watching Scott. His gaze instantly dropped again once he realized he had been caught staring.

"He's the Headmaster's son. He tells his dad everything and if you hang out with him then you better hope you're the perfect student." Avi explained.

"Yeah, he's daddy little spy," Kevin added.

"Is that why he's alone?" Scott asked, looking over just in time to see someone walk by and drop a bowl of something into Mitch's lap. Mitch didn't seem to react very much, he just stared at his lap while the guy said something that Scott couldn't hear. The guy walked away laughing with the others who had seen what he did. Scott felt bad for Mitch as he placed the bowl on his tray and tried to clean up. Scott figured he should listen to his friends but he felt bad for Mitch. Once he saw Mitch wipe at his cheek as if he was crying his need to help got the best of him. He stood up and grabbed some extra napkins before walking over to Mitch's table.