Chapter Eleven

A/N: Before you read this I want to say that abuse is not something to be taken lightly. This chapter has some abuse in it. In the past I've gotten critized for writing abuse scenes so I just want to be clear that I do not think lightly of abuse. I was abused my dad and he threatened to kill me more than once. It got to where it wasn't safe for us kids to be living in the house anymore and we lived with our aunt for a short time. So when I write about abuse I'm not watering down the seriousness of it.

               Mitch sat in the waiting area outside of his dad's office. He had been told to come to the office but he wasn't sure why. He clapsed his hands together in between his legs to keep them from shaking. His mind ran through everything he had done recently but there wasn't anything that stuck out that he could be in trouble for. His dad never called him to the office unless it was something bad. They didn't exactly get along. He looked up when the door opened.

"Mitch," his dad said. The brunette stood up and walked in, keeping his head down as he walked past his dad. His mom was sitting in one of the chairs in front of the desk which made Mitch's stomach drop. Usually when both of his parents were around it was really bad. "Sit down," his dad instructed. Mitch sat down next to his mom.

"Mitch, your dad and I getting a divorce." His mom said with no real emotion. Mitch looked up in shock. He looked from his mom to his dad. Neither one seemed upset over this.

"What?" Was all Mitch could say. He had never seen his parents fight but then again he rarely saw his parents together either.

"It's just something that happens, Mitch. You're smart enough to know that already." His dad pointed out in annoyance. Mitch lowered his head again, fighting the urge to apologize.

"I-Is that all?" Mitch asked quietly. The news kept running through his head and he wondered if this would change anything.

"No, there's something else," his mom told him. He glanced up at her to let her know he was listening. "I'm moving to London and I'm taking your sister with me."

"You're leaving?" Mitch asked, looking directly at his mom. His eyes darted over to his dad and back to his mom. "You're taking Emily with you? What about me?" He asked, scared of the answer.

"You're staying here with me." His dad answered, not sounding pleased. It seemed he didn't want to be having this conversation.

"Why?" Mitch asked, looking to his mom. Sure she had never been the overly caring mother he wished she was but she treated him better than his dad did. At least she didn't hit him but she also didn't stop his dad from doing it either.

"I just feel that Emily is old enough that she needs to be home with me to learn the skills she needs. And just like every other boy out there, you need your father to teach you what you need to know." Mitch glanced back at the menacing man behind the desk.

"Why are you divorcing?" Mitch asked, looking at his mom. He wished his dad wasn't here because even though his mom got annoyed with him she was nicer about it.

"Just accept that we are and move on. That's all we wanted to tell you. Go back to your room," his dad demanded. Mitch didn't argue. He jumped up and nearly ran out the door. As he was walking away, his mom caught up with him.

"Mitch, wait," she said. He stopped but didn't look up at her. She ran a perfectly manicured hand through her bleached hair before crossing her arms with a sigh. "We're divorcing because I met someone else."

"What?"

"I met him on one of my trips and we stayed in touch. He lives in London and I've decided to move there with him." Mitch wasn't sure what to feel. He knew he should probably feel angry about the divorce but instead he felt betrayed. She was abandoning him. It's not like she did much to protect him but now he would be completely at the mercy of his father.