Chapter Fourteen

A/N: I know all abuse cases are different but I'm going based off of my own experience which wasn't great. I was taken to a police station once to talk to the sheriff. I don't know if all police stations are set up the same way but I'm just going based on what I saw and what I was asked.

Mitch laid on his stomach on his bed while he did his homework. He was healing but his back and bottom were still sore. He hadn't talked to Scott since the day he called his mom. He was worried he had freaked him out too much. He had seen Scott in class and at meal times but hadn't said anything to him. If Scott didn't want to talk to him than he wasn't going to force it.

Mitch was quietly singing to himself as he worked. Since he was still grounded he didn't have any music. Mitch got his hopes up when there was a knock on the door. He was hoping it was Scott. He carefully got up and went to the door. He was expecting the tall blonde to be standing there but instead it was a police officer. The officer was a tall, African American man with kind eyes and a gentle smile. Mitch glanced around as his heart raced.

"Mitch?" The man asked. Mitch couldn't find his voice so he only nodded his head. "I'm Officer Larry Delani and I was wondering if I could talk to you for a while?" Mitch looked behind him at his room. He finally nodded his head and stepped aside to let the officer into the room.

"I was actually hoping that you would come with me. I would like to take you to the main office." Mitch felt more nervous now. Why did they have to go to the main office? Did his dad know a cop was here?

"O-Okay," Mitch whispered, not knowing if the officer had even heard him.

"Come with me," Officer Delani ushered. Mitch followed the man in silence. He kept his head down as they passed students. Why were there so many students just standing around? Did he do something wrong? Staring down he realized that he hadn't even put shoes on and was just in his socks. When they got to the office, Officer Delani opened the door and motioned for Mitch to go on in. Mitch was shaking as he walked in. He expected to see his dad but he didn't. Instead there were more cops going through his dad's stuff. Mitch looked back at Officer Delani who only smiled kindly at him.

"Mitch? Come take a seat with me." Officer Delani said, motioning to the two chairs in front of his dad's desk. Mitch sat in one and Officer Delani sat on the edge of the desk next to him. A different cop, a woman, sat in the other chair.

"Hi, Mitch," she said in a gentle tone. "I'm Yvett and I'm sure you have a lot of questions about what is happening and we're here to answer any questions. First I would like to explain and hopefully that will clear up some of that confusion and fear you feel right now. We were alerted by someone here at the school about the things your dad does to you." Mitch's heart stopped. Nobody was supposed to know those things.

"It's okay, we're here to help you. We would like you to come with us and answer some questions and help us understand what happened. We have taken your dad into custody and have officers questioning him. I know this might be scary to hear but if what we've been told is true than we have to remove him from here. He shouldn't hurt you or any other kid. Will you go with Officer Delani to the station?" She asked but Mitch was too in shock to reply. His dad was arrested? What was going to happen to him? Would he be sent away? What about his mom? Was she in trouble too?

"It's okay, Mitch, you can trust us." Officer Delani said, his voice calm and kind. Mitch broke from his frozen state and slowly stood on shaky legs. "How about we get you some shoes first?" Mitch was going through anyone who would report his dad. Nobody was supposed to know. Or at least they weren't supposed to care. The people who probably know have been here forever and never did anything. Why now? Then one person came to mind. Scott had been around him the most and had seen and heard things he never should have.