Chapter Four

A/N: I was listening to "Hurt" by Get Scared while writing this chapter because I've been obsessed with that song lately and it definitely set the mood for the ending of this chapter. I'm really happy with how this turned out. I'm usually bad about making the first few chapters boring so I'm trying to not make the same mistake with this story.

Scott couldn't sleep and he knew leaving the building after curfew was against the rules but he needed some fresh air. There were fire escapes on the outside of the building so Scott opened the window to climb out. He was only wearing black sweat pants, a black band hoodie, and his running shoes. The moon was almost full making it bright enough out that he didn't need a flashlight to see. He started down the trail with his hands in the pocket on the front of his hoodie. He listened to the bugs and the slight breeze blowing through the trees. He didn't plan to walk the whole trail but he needed something to get his energy out and clear his mind.

He got a good ways past the picnic area when he heard something in the woods to his right. He stopped and looked around the trail before hearing it again. Everything in him told him to run away but he knew it was probably an animal or something and he was fine. His mind was still screaming at him that he was going to be murdered. When he heard what sounded like a groan his heart started pounding.

"H-Hello?" Scott called, looking around again. "Is someone there?" The noise came again and Scott debated checking it out. He took out his phone and turned on the light on it before walking towards the sound. He wasn't far into the woods before he found a person kneeling in front of a tree. He shined the light on them and his eyes widened in shock.

"Mitch?" He rushed forward to the teen who had his hands tied behind his back and around the slim tree. "It's okay, I'm gonna get you free and we'll go to the nurse." Scott said, going to work at the knots used to hold Mitch in place. He worked on them for what felt like ever. Whoever did this made sure to knot the binding multiple times.

"You shouldn't be out here. You're going to get in trouble." Mitch said, looking over his shoulder at Scott.

"I'm glad I broke the rules. How long have you been out here?" Scott asked, finally getting Mitch free.

"Um, since shortly after we talked." He replied, wincing as he moved his arms around. His shoulders burned and his wrists were raw. He had been sitting here for hours. The only thing he was grateful for was that they didn't beat him up before leaving him here. Tying him up was as far as they went.

"My god, come on, you need to go to the nurse." Scott said, reaching out to help Mitch stand. The brunette stood and had to lean against the tree to keep from falling. His legs felt like jelly and were sore. He felt an arm wrap around his waist and his left arm was put over Scott's shoulders. He gasped as his arm was raised. It hurt a lot but he was thankful for Scott helping him. He knew he couldn't make it back on his own.

"Scott, you can't go with me. You'll get in trouble," Mitch said as they began walking. He knew it was a bit of a walk back to the buildings and he dreaded the walk. He felt relieved that Scott found him though. Nobody else would have helped him. He wished he could believe that someone would see this as them taking it too far and help him but he honestly didn't think anyone would.

"You can't walk right, I'm not leaving. I don't care about the conversation we had earlier. As soon as I drop you off I'll leave you alone." Scott said, a hint of bitterness in his tone. Mitch was confused now. Scott was mad at him but he was still helping him? Scott was supposed to hate him now. He definitely sounded mad so he should have just laughed and walked away. But he was helping him instead.

Mitch sighed in relief when they finally got back to the buildings. They went to the school building and down the long hallway to where the nurse's station was at. They had a night nurse but nothing really happened at night. When they walked in, the nurse was sitting on a chair and messing around on his phone. He looked up and seemed shocked when he saw them. He got up, leaving his phone on the table next to him. He came over to help Scott get Mitch to a chair.