Chapter 10: Perfect Relationship

My aunt liked to throw dinner parties. I rarely went to them, but I decided that I would go to this one. It believe it was near Christmas time.

Across the room there was a man oddly dressed in a suit and tie. Everyone else was dressed in casual clothes, so he stood out. I stared at him and he flashed me a closed-lipped smile. But since he was at the other end of the table, I didn't get to talk to him until after the dinner.

I presented my hand. "Bess Johnson."

"Ted--you can call me Ted."

I smiled at him and he invited to sit next to him.

"Do I have something on my face?" he asked.

"No, no," I said. "It's just that you are wearing a suit, so..."

"Oh yes," he said, touching the back of his neck and blushing. "I thought dinner party, so... you know wear something formal."

I laughed.

"You have a beautiful laugh."

I wasn't used to complements, but peeped out a thank you, blushing.

"I grew up in Pennsylvania," he said. "Are you local to this area?"

I nodded. "I'm working to move out of my parents' home."

"Oh, are you in school?"

"No, I'm working as a secretary right now."

"Must be interesting."

"I don't mind it. I would like to go to night school to get a degree in Advertising."

"That sounds very interesting and like a challenge." He drank his port and smiled over the rim.

"I liked watching the advertisements on television more than the tv programs when I was kid. Also I like working with the art aspect. I think it would be a lot of fun."

"Very interesting, indeed."

You live in a stable household, right?" he asked sipping on his port which he was using to wash down the cheese.

"I grew up here. It was an OK childhood. I--" I was covering for the problems I had with my mother.

"You are so beautiful."

Each interruption was to compliment me. I didn't mind. Besides, he didn't talk in long clips. This I repeated over and over, not realizing the downfalls of this kind of thinking.

He also offered to take me home when he found out that I had been dropped off there. He escorted me to my door. Again, flattery got the better of me.

"I don't think we should kiss on the first date. Can I see you next week?"

I nodded through my blush.

My aunt interrogated me the next day over the phone if we were now dating. I held off. I still was feeling cautious. But it did feel like love at first sight. The kind of thing one sees in books and is described on television all the time.

"So Ted took you home?"

"Ye-yes," I said.

"I'm so happy for you. I hear he's a good person."

I ignored the fact that she didn't know this person all that well. It didn't seem to matter. He was someone I could like.

"He's so charming... how sweet that he opens the door for you. Be sure to give me an update."

The next date he showed up in jeans, and a biker jacket. I was a little surprised, but it still didn't raise any suspicion since he drove me in his Volkswagen. We went to a movie theater. He got me popcorn and he asked me what I wanted to do with my life.

On the way out of the movie theater, I didn't thank him for opening the door he said, "You know, my lady-friends compliment me for opening the door."

I said a belated thank you. I should say thank you. I had better manners than that.

The second time he asked if he could kiss me. I accepted. His kiss was a little slobbery, and he forced his tongue into my mouth a lot. But I still thought he was romantic. I entered my house. I was enchanted. I had found a decent man.

***

William was still on campus when I called him. I cradled the phone brick in my hand, looking out the window, but only seeing images of Ted.

"And he opens the car door for me. He told me how beautiful I was a lot of times. I lost count. He's handsome too," I gushed.

I was on a new buzz. Love. And perhaps a perfect love. I felt loopy that sometimes I couldn't sleep at night with the sheer excitement.

After raving about Ted to William and singing his praises, I remembered to add, "How have you been doing?"

"Classes are hard, but I'm managing. I have to find a work study program though. It's coming up much faster than I thought. Then I have to take the exam in three years after that."

My head was filled with how to bring the conversation back to Ted, but I bit my lip holding it back.

"It's been a bit difficult with me and my girlfriend. I haven't had time to devote to her. I've been getting a lot of hard assignments. It'll get worse with the Master's program."

I was sad that his relationship wasn't as good as mine. He took in a deep sigh. "We decided to break up."

I said sorry. For a moment, the buzz's edge slipped.

"But it sounds like you have a good guy."

I was convinced I did.