Chapter 35--Girl Accepts Failure

Driving to work was a pain in the butt. The new snow wasn't heavy enough for me to object to coming into work, but the slush and trying to dig out the car was difficult. The snow this time was wet. It wasn't that freezing outside. People were either driving slow or recklessly. Getting to work took longer than I expected even with lead time.

I placed my jacket on the back of the office chair. My boots squeaked against the floor. I pulled out my heels and changed into them. It clicked against the floor. I fired up my computer. They had been shut off during the holiday. While I waited for it to fire up, I tried to catch up on the old files that I had yet to stack.

I checked up on the company roster and the business meetings. My boss came in late grumbling about the next set of projects.

"Have the A/E's reported in for work yet? I need their reports."

I shook my head. "Chad is still on vacation though. Jake and Marleen said they would be coming in late. I haven't heard from the rest."

"I need to get that bleed problem fixed with the electricity company newspaper ad."

They'd been trying for a few weeks to trim down the page ad and not been succeeding. They needed it out before New Years. It was supposed to be a tie in.

"Get Frank and Paul to come into my office, if you see them," he said.

I nodded. I phoned the front desk.

"Mr. Lawrence would like to see Frank and Paul in his office when they come in," I said to Nancy.

"Sure," she said in her half-hidden Southie accent. "I'll tell them when they come in."

"Thank you."

The phone rang. I ended the call with Nancy and then answered the phone call.

"Hello, you've reached the desk of Richard Lawrence. How can I help you?"

"This is the secretary of Frances Gonzales. He wants to schedule a meeting with Mr. Lawrence."

"Oh, hello." I looked at his calendar.

"He has time today or next week Thursday. I'm afraid we're booked pretty tight because of the holiday season."

"Umm..." she said. "Hang on."

I waited for her. I waved to Frank. I buzzed Richard to notify him that there was a visitor. I waved Frank in. Frank entered.

"Is there a way for him to meet him sooner?" she asked... "Because he can't make it today. His wife wants him to take his child to the dentist."

I looked at the roster. He was packed tight.

"I can see if he has time this week, please hold."

I put her on hold and then used the intercom.

"I hope I'm not bothering you, but Frank Gonzales wants to schedule a meeting as soon as possible, but he's not free today. Your schedule is booked for this week. What would you like to do?"

"Gonzales..." he muttered.

"I believe he's working with you on the Internet expansion deal," I supplied.

"Oh, yes. It is important... ask if he can make it after work sometime this week. I can tell my wife to put the leftovers in the fridge."

"Alright," I said.

"Thank you," he said.

I picked up the phone from hold and said, "He said that he can't do it during office hours. Is it possible to not do it during office hours?"