CHAPTER 21--BOY AND GIRL CELEBRATE THANKSGIVING

I was walking home in a new pair of shoes I was breaking in. I liked to walk. I always wanted to take my ferrets with me. But I knew that the local dogs wouldn't know what to do with Barry and Mary.

Some people hadn't bothered to clean their lawns of any of the leaves. I thought it was strange that they allowed them to rot into the lawn. But at the same time I could understand that attitude. What was the point of raking them when they would pile up again? There were quite a few trees in the area.

The weather had been getting colder and I was realizing, too, that my time to give William an answer was coming close. Making him wait for an answer wasn't fair to him, even if I found the whole thing strange. Dating him a few times couldn't hurt. I'd been trying to get my head around the idea. Us as a couple. Thinking of Thanksgiving plans was far more pleasant.

I wanted to do something kind of special for Thanksgiving. I'd saved a little extra money and reserved a heritage turkey. I returned to the house and called William, "I'm back... you said something about wanting to watch the basketball game?"

Basketball wasn't anything special to me, but he liked to watch it and cheer for the game. I wasn't about to stop him. The choice was between a sappy movie or basketball. I didn't blame him for choosing basketball.

He ran down the stairs and sat on the couch and clicked on the television.

"Thanks for reminding me."

I thought he would change after his confession and say something like, "I hate all sports" or not steal the toothpaste in the bathroom and leave the cap off when he came to the end of his tube. The confession had changed nothing except that he expected an answer.

I found myself bored and sat next to him on the couch. I stared at him for a while. This situation was hopeless in many ways. How could he like me? I had to forgive him for falling in love with me. I'd come to that conclusion.

"Why do men like basketball anyway?" I asked at the other end of the couch instead of my usual recliner.

"We're not a separate species."

He was listening to the commentators.

"OK, why do you like basketball?"

"It's fast-paced allowing for a lot of shooting and uses skill dependent on both coach and team. The point isn't if the man makes a basket, but how well the team works together to help the player make it. Also it's a good way for people to take out their aggression."

The squeak of the shoes and the rapid different moves filled the screen. I doubted that a gun would make such a horrid noise. I also doubted his geek answer, but said nothing.

"I've been thinking I've been unfair..."

William nodded and said, "Uh-huh."

He was never engaged during basketball. I'd chosen to say it during this time because of that.

William cheered as his favorite team made a basket.

"I mean... I haven't given you a proper answer at all."

He turned off the television. My plan was ruined. Another fine one in the gutter.

"What? You have the answer?"

I stared at the floor which was clean this time. I had nothing to stare at. "I'll give you a chance. You can bring me out on dates. We'll see what happens."

His face lit up, but he still stayed composed.

"OK. Good."

"That's it?" I asked.