CHAPTER 12--THANK YOU, SORRY; THANK YOU, SORRY

Ted was there when I struck a blow to my parents and moved out of their house. He had suggested that I live with him, but I'd insisted on having a job, paying the rent and bills on my own.

The day I chose to move was chilly for a summer day. I'd rented a U-Haul truck for the occasion, though I didn't have all that much stuff. I found a small satisfaction out of renting something like that.

Ted moved the boxes as if it was nothing, which helped me out. Even as I objected, he persisted in helping me. I thought it was sweet.

He hefted the box of books up the tight staircase to my new home.

"Because my old man would never help anyone."

I hadn't asked him why, but he filled in the answer between the grunt of lifting boxes.

"He wouldn't help my mom to open a jar."

I nodded. "That must have been be awful. Did he ever kiss her?" I already knew the answer.

"Nope. Never saw it."

He opened the box and put the books into the bookshelf at random. The placement of the books and the bookcase was wrong. I wanted the boxes off of the truck first, so I could return it.

I stepped for the door, but he said, "Let me get it."

He finished the bringing in of all of the boxes. I thanked him before returning the truck, when I returned, I found him stacking the books out of order again. He knew how I'd put them into the box in order even if they didn't fit well. I didn't say anything. He'd be upset if I said anything.

"Thank you is good manners," he said putting the books on the shelf.

I repeated the thank you, swearing I said it before.

"I can handle the rest of the unpacking on my own now. Thanks again."

He glanced to look back at me. "You sure? I'm hungry. We should go out for lunch."

"I have to unpack," I said.

I thought my voice was apologetic and even.

"I understand, you don't like me."

"No, I like you. I need time to sort out my things."

"If you liked me you would've moved in with me. I understood that, but now you won't go out with me for lunch."

His voice was strained. He leaned against the misplaced bookshelf. I didn't respond. He stormed out of the apartment. I stood there a little stunned. I didn't chase after him. I was sure those were his words of breaking up. I wasn't broken, but I felt a little depression take me over. We had been dating a month.

I settled down my ball python as soon as I left to its proper place. It was a little scattered from the move, but she wasn't injured.

The bookshelf I moved to what would be my study area. I put the books in order. I fished out the clocks and set them around the apartment. I set them to the clock on my cellphone.

I put myself into bringing all of the things in their individual places. I wanted to ignore the thoughts that were clogging my brain. Ted and I were over. I hadn't run after him. I could somehow accept that.

I paused to eat a sliced bread sandwich with a little ham in it. My sustenance was going to be small from now on. I couldn't go out on the town all night. I needed to pay bills like the electric bill and the gas bill. I had gotten those things installed the day I put down the deposit for the apartment. I made a budget for the month too. I was going to keep it if I had to sell my left leg.