CHAPTER 16--ACCEPTANCE

One time Ted and I went to the mall. It was packed to a tee. There were no parking spaces anywhere and he refused to go to a higher level to look for a parking space.

"That guy looks like he's had too many submarines," he said.

"He's not that fat..." I tried to start.

He glanced at me and smirked. He found it funny that I got upset at his fat comments. I think he liked seeing me upset for a change since I got him upset so often.

He pointed out an African American and made a racial slur and then laughed when I got upset.

I'd had friends that were African American. There were people in my family who were half. I couldn't understand how he could say something like that.

"Hey, I make cracker jokes too," he said. "See that trailer trash with the plaid shirt?"

I didn't think it was funny. The more we circled the parking lot, the more he continued the slurs.

"It's not funny, Ted. I don't like it," I said.

"Hey, the stereotypes are there for a reason. They are true. So don't get uppity with me."

I clenched my teeth. I said, "I want to get out. Let me out."

"It won't be that much longer."

I tried to open the door, but he locked the door.

"That's dangerous!"

I didn't care.

"I'm sorry, OK. I didn't mean it. I think that they are funny."

"They aren't."

"I'm trying to show how ridiculous they are by using them."

I went to grab for the handle again. He halted the car.

"Don't do this now. OK, I'll stop. I swear."

I looked at him with my arms crossed.

"I'm sorry. Let's go and have some fun, Alright?"

I nodded. He had the car and I'd chosen to wear heels. I needed to buy sneakers today in case I had to walk home.