CHAPTER 26--Listening Skills

Ted thought my snake was cool. He was very gentle with the snake and I allowed him to handle it when I was around. My female ball python had gotten huge. I wanted her to get bigger before I bred her again. I was dreaming of trying to breed her with the perfect mate. I was sure I could find him and buy him from a breeder or find one cheap through the local newspaper. Sometimes the local breeders would split the litters, but I hadn't found a male that I wanted to breed her with.

"Look, it's climbing down my arm!" he said.

He guided the snake back up his arm.

"Don't put it around your neck," I said.

"I won't. I'm not stupid."

I took the snake back and then put her back into her home.

He tapped on the glass as she went back into her home.

"Please don't do that, she doesn't like when people tap on the glass."

"It doesn't hurt."

"It doesn't do her any good. Please, don't do it."

"But I think it's not that bad. I want to see if he's alive in there."

"It's she," I said trying to intercept him and my snake's home.

"I can never remember. Don't get upset at me over that."

I shook my head. I didn't feel like arguing the point again. Maybe I should let him be and not let him handle the snake? But he was so good with her. And I loved him. I loved watching him handle the snake with care and volunteering to help to clean the cage. The argument left me feeling uneasy and confused.