Chapter 19

Chapter 19

-----------------

*A YEAR LATER

I walked down the street, acting confident, with Kasey by my side.

We looked like two normal teenage girls.

And we should after all, because one, we were part of a gang that would kill us if we did anything out of order,

and two,we were performing a robbery in broad daylight.

Sometimes I enjoyed doing these things,other times,not so much.

I can't exactly tell you why.

Kasey hates it.

I don't.

Yes you do, a voice in my head says.

Ever since I got injected with that stuff, I've been feeling like I actually like robbing people and hurting people.

But there's always this small voice in the back of my head telling me I don't like it.

Telling me that its not right.

Telling me that the real me wouldn't like taking part in any of this.

But the rest of me dismisses it.

Except when that happens, there's sometimes an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach, when I know there shouldn't be.

Kasey and I briskly walked down the busy street, turning onto a private road with big houses.

We stopped and pretended to check our reflection in pocket mirrors.

"64 Oakhurst Drive," Kasey says quietly, shining her mirror so that it had the house behind us caught in the reflection.

I looked at her and nodded and we both walked different ways, surveying the windows.

Then we met back at the front of the house and walked up the brick walkway like we were supposed to be there.

Which we weren't.

I pretended to take a key out of my bag,and shielded Kasey while she picked the lock.

This was all for show just in case the neighbors happened to look out their window.

I heard a quiet click and finally dug out a fake key and pretended to insert it into the lock.

The door opened and we stood in a huge foyer.

We quickly scanned all the rooms for activity, finding none.

Kasey suggested to check the bathrooms but I told her probably nobody was in there.

I went to the living room while Kasey went upstairs.

This wasn't a big time robbery.

Well, it was but we were looking for the small stuff.

Like ATM cards, credit cards, gift cards, money...

Hey, we just stole the stuff and left other people to do the technical shit.

I looked around the living room and my eyes zeroed in a big brown vase.

It looked ordinary but was most definitely not.

I hopped over to it, gleeful.

A small part of me suddenly radiated disdain.

My brow furrowed.

Wait wasn't I just happy?

Oh well.

I shrugged it off like normal and pulled the lid off, seeing a huge wad of cash.

Huge.

Abso-fucking-lutely huge.

I reached to grab it and my fingers had almost closed around it when I felt something tug me back and to my feet.

It was Kasey.

Her eyes were wild and she was out of breath.

"...upstairs Bathroom.. I didn't know he was there... He saw me.. Leave... Run," she panted frantically, dragging me out of the room.

I heard pounding on the stairs and I ripped open the front door, taking off down the street.

Someone was following us, I'm sure of it.

We ran a couple more blocks, and stopped beside a frozen yogurt shop, leaning against the railing of the outside patio.

We tried to catch our breath.

Suddenly a figure loped into view.

Shawn.

He looked around and his eyes met ours.

"...Megan? Kasey?" He was astonished, looking between the both of us crazily.

Kasey stiffened up beside me and I worked out a plan in my head.

We could probably make it around the corner and then nobody could see me-

See you do what? What are you going to do? Hurt him? You like him.

The voice in my head was back, scoffing at me.

It got louder every time I tried to shut it out.

SHAWN. IT'S SHAWN. HE LOVED YOU REMEMBER?

I nudged Kasey and we turned and fled, tears running down my cheeks as I ran away from the guy I loved.

YOU LOVE HIM SEE? YOU-

"STOP IT! JUST SHUT UP!" I screamed, clutching my head with both of my hands.

Kasey sniffled beside me, as we ran back to the underground tunnels.

He followed, but I never looked back.

And at some point, the footsteps stopped.

We quietly walked back into the tunnels, waiting to see what would happen.

Rule Number 1 of Mickeys Gang:

Never fail a mission.

-------------------------------------------

(A/N) Vote comment?♥

Ily guys.

So close to 200 reads ASHSKNDEOD

❌❌