Chapter 23

I smiled as the sun streamed over my face, and I breathed in the fresh air of Beverly Hills.

The taxi pulled away and I turned to face my home.

I was finally going home after all that time in the mental hospital. I'm honestly surprised I didn't go insane in that place. I was placed among crazy people for a whole 7 months and I think I'm still normal, although one can never be too sure.

I walked up the stone path and placed my foot on the first step, slowly ascending.

I gazed at the porch and front door I hadn't seen and so long, and reached out, grazing my fingers over the doorbell, hearing it sweetly chime inside.

Michelle opened the door and looked at me. I assumed she had been expecting me because there was no trace of surprise on her face, but one of relief and..caution?

I reached out and pulled her into a tight embrace.

"It's okay, I swear I'm not crazy." I laughed into her shoulder. A moment later, she returned the hug, quite tightly if you ask my lungs.

"I missed you so much. It wasn't the same without you." She sniffled, holding me at arms length.

"Trust me, I missed you so much more. I don't recommend being locked in a place with insane people."

She laughed and pulled me inside.

"Okay guys, it's safe to come out now!"
She raised her voice.

I knit my eyebrows in confusion.

"What do you me-"

She pushed me into the foyer and besides looking at the massive house before me, -I forgot how big it was- I looked at the sign above my head, and all the balloons.

"WELCOME BACK!!" Came a chorus of voices, people popping out from all over the place.

I gazed around at all my friends in surprise. They remembered when I was getting out and actually cared enough to throw a welcome back party?

My eyes involuntarily glazed over and I rubbed at them, sniffling.

Suddenly I was smooshed together by two people.

"Oh get over yourself, we throw you this nice party and you're just gonna stand here and cry?" Maeve questions, looking at me with mock seriousness.

"Oh shut up," I laugh pulling them in for a hug.

"We missed you." Kasey and Maeve chorused, looking at me with shiny eyes.

"Now who's the crybaby?" I taunted as they rubbed their eyes.

"What? I don't know what you're talking about- the - it's just the dust. So much dust. It's all in my eyes." Kasey blinked, looking around.

I laughed and we walked past people, sometimes stopping to chat. There was a lot of people here, including the Magcon boys, except for one.

I searched the rooms, looking for the person I longed to see the most.

I ended up in the kitchen, having searched everywhere else. I began to peek above and around people.

"Megan?" Kasey called.

He has to be here right? He wouldn't miss it. Unless he found another girl. Maybe he did. He wouldn't want to date a girl from a mental hospital, nobody would that's embarrassing. But is he here? I hope-

"Megan." Kasey firmly interrupted my thoughts, standing on the other side of Maeve.

They exchanged a look.