Çhäptěr 4

Eren POV

I ran as fast as I could, but it still wasn’t fast enough. Was she always this fast? It seemed like she was going to keep running forever. Could she run forever? She probably could, if she wanted to. She stopped after a while and I saw my chance to talk to her. She saw me coming though. Before she could leave, I grabbed her arm and pulled her back, causing her to spin around.

“Let me go, Eren. I don’t want to talk. I want to be alone.” She said coldly. It was kind of scary.

“Just hear me out. Look, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you upset, but you have to understand that I did it for your own good.” I tried explaining calmly. I was so close to yelling at her, but I knew that what little chance I had to get my point across would be gone if I did.

“It doesn’t matter anymore. I changed anyways. I got there just in time.” she said without looking at me.

“YOU DID WHAT?!” I couldn’t hold it in anymore. “What do you mean you changed it?! I thought it wasn’t allowed to be changed after it was decided!!” I couldn’t tell if she was mad at me. Her bangs covered her eyes.

“Well you were wrong. I asked if it could be changed, they said yes and they did. Simple as that.” She said calmly. I was impressed. By now, she should’ve been yelling at me and throwing punches.

“Great. Now I have to go back in there and change it back!”

“Don’t you dare!! I want to join be in the Scouts! I’m going to be in the Scouts and there’s nothing you can do about it!!” There it is. I was wondering when she was going to snap.

“Why did you have to be so stubborn?! Can’t you see I’m trying to help you?! Ugh!!” I threw my hands up in annoyance.

“How is choosing for me helping me?! All you accomplished was making me angry!!”

“I’m only trying to protect you!” Maybe if I told her that she would get this crazy idea out her head and she would listen to me.

“I don’t need protection!! I trained for a reason! And I’m not going to let my training go to waste just so I can take orders from someone who probably just sits around all day doing nothing! I didn’t sign up for this just to do that!”

“Then why did you sign up for this?” I asked, all the anger in my voice turned to worry.

“That day. In Shiganshina. I saw all those people dying. And then everything that happened with mom. I felt so useless. I hated it. Knowing I couldn’t do anything to help them. At least now, I have the skills to do something. If I’m going to go down, I’m going down fighting.”

“Wow. I never knew. I’m sorry. I’m here trying to get revenge and her you are trying to help humanity just for the sake of helping. That’s really noble of you. I guess I have no other choice then. I still don’t like the idea of you going out there and risking your life, but if it’s what you want, then I can’t stop you.”

“You’re damn right you can’t stop me!” she said with determination in her voice.

I hugged her. I don’t know why. It just seemed like she needed it. She kept her emotions and her thoughts from me ever since that horrid day. She kept them bottled in and to herself. No one should have to do that. She was the one who broke the hug.

“Thanks.” she said to me. It was barely a whisper, but I was close enough to hear it.

“What for?” I asked.

“Understanding.” she replied.

Word Count: 645
-------------------------------------------------