Chapter 18: "Come and Dine"

The congregation sat in what Dean could only deem as stunned silence. At this point, Dean had no idea what would be said after he, Nicholas, and the other kids were gone. Perhaps pastor Bryant would stand at the podium and lament the 'dark trials' they were going through, say an earnest prayer for their children who were being led away by lies. Whatever happened...was out of Dean's hands and rightfully in God's hands. In Dean's mind, the words Nicholas had spoken were life-changing words for the young people listening, and hopefully—eventually—for at least some of the parents and other members. Dean would not cease praying for God to move in this little church, open their hearts and their doors to all. God had moved in a big way today, Dean believed. Seeds had been planted, he was sure of it, even if it took a while for the evidence to show.

"Do you think anyone really listened?" Timothy asked when they were outside. "I mean, the church people...Pastor Bryant...?"

Dean sighed and smiled. "I hope so. All we can do is act when God calls on us to do so, as Nicholas did today, and leave the rest up to God. The Bible says that one plants, another waters, but it is God who gives the increase."

Coming closer, Bradley offered, "Maybe today, Nicholas watered the seeds that you planted yesterday."

Dean liked the thought of that. "Maybe so."

"And now we wait for God to give the increase," Jeremy added with a smile.

"Yes, we do." Dean nodded.

Nicholas reached out his hand to Bradley. "Thank you for what you did in there."

Bradley looked at his hand and chuckled, then hugged Nicholas. "We've got to stick together." Nicholas grunted when he squeezed him hard before releasing.

"Amen," Dean laughed softly as Nicholas straightened his suit jacket.

"Thank you all," Nicholas told the others.

"We should be thanking you," Nicole spoke up quietly. "What you said up there...it was really beautiful and helped me understand things a lot more clearly." The kids standing around nodded in agreement. She looked at Bradley with a glimmer of tears in her eyes. "Thank you for standing up for me, too."

"I was glad to do it, sweetheart," Bradley replied softly.

Dean stepped forward and addressed Nicole's girlfriend. "We haven't been formally introduced; I'm Dean Mitchell." He held out his hand and the girl shook it tentatively.

"Yvonne Kinney," she murmured with a shy smile.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Yvonne," Dean smiled. He looked at Nicole. "Are you staying with Yvonne?"

Nicole nodded. "Her parents invited me to stay when my dad kicked me out," she whispered. "I really like it there." She squeezed Yvonne's hand and pressed closer to her. "Her parents are really nice."

Relief seeped through Dean. "Thank the Lord for nice parents."

"I do," Nicole smiled warmly at Yvonne. "Every day."

"Pastor Mitchell..." Timothy shifted next to Elliot and glanced back and forth between Dean and Nicholas. "Does this mean you're going to stay? Move back and live here?"

Anxious, eager looks focused on Dean. He smiled at Nicholas then replied to Timothy. "Yes, I think that's what it means."

A grin cut across Timothy's face and he hugged Dean. "Will you start your own church?" he asked when he withdrew.

"My own..." Dean smiled uncertainly. "I, uh...I hadn't...thought about..."

"I would start going to church again if you were the pastor," Nicole said. Similar sentiments rose from the others.