Scarlett Love

My father returned within a week. Bought the Lego toy for Fateh, nothing for me.

I ate the doughnut.

I can feel myself returning home. Like my smile coming back and my carelessness mixing with my voice. My actions speaking without my permission. I was like this years back but why now?

My melancholy has subsided or has hidden.

Maybe we are not sad, we are just not distracted.

Distraction makes the sadness go away and I am way beyond occupied with rambling thoughts, solving mysteries of Dar-Al-Maqamah.

I heard Mrs. Kasheefa cooking lunch.

"Need help? " I enquired.

"No. Go out and play," she said beaming.

Well, I am an adult. So that made Al-Hassan so offended. I grinned with the thought.

I was crossing the garden, I saw the gathering of the brothers there.

I was bored. Should I see them? Probably should.

I greeted not noticing a new addition.
A man, tall and lean. White skin and messy hair. Wearing jeans and a T-shirt. A boy mind me, wearing headphones and a phone in his hands.

A city Guy.

Making all of them seem like the rich kids of fancy dress party whose theme had been Hollywood glamour of the '20s.

"hi," he said bringing his hand forward for a handshake.

"Hello," I said putting my hands in each other.

"You got married? " he asked the brothers.

"he's my cousin from North Carolina. Ar-Danish Wahi. Ar-Danish this is Falaq-Naaz, our... Our guest" Al-Wais introduced.

"you can call me Dan. Danny is fine too" he fumbled.

"please have a seat" Al-Wildan offered.

I had to sit down.

" were you lost? Where are you from? I've come to see my Lil Willy man" he went on.

Al-Wais drew my draft for him. To be frank, he was not as weird as the surrounding made him look like.
In fact, he was the new age guy from any city. Comfortable and approachable.

"How's work?" Al-Wais asked.

"Man I'm telling you this new boss of mine is such pain in my a**. Fu*king bit*h. She is ruining my life. The other day I called the zoo, I was like "Man take your property from here, I'll pay you with my a** if I had to. Didn't help, still sucking my blood."

I looked at the side. They all did not appreciate his sense of humor.

I had heard rants like these often. Now they seem strange from this seven-month detox.

When he left. Al-Wildan asked me "city men? "

"yes they're near all the same"
I said.

At night when I cannot sleep, I have developed this ritual, black tea for Al-Wais and a tea with milk for me under the stars until I feel sleepy enough to cut off the conversation with the King.

I reached the balcony and my mood spoiled.

The new guest had occupied my place.

"Oh come Falaq," he said.

My name after days.

"oh you bought coffee for us" he took a cup.

"ugh that's tea"