Chapter 5: The Quest for Erebor

"Gandalf," Thorin said as soon as he stepped in Bag End, took off his cloak and put it to the side. "I thought you said this place would be easy to find. I lost my way, twice. I wouldn't have found it at all, had it not been for that mark on the door."

"Mark? There's no mark on that door, it was painted a week ago!" Bilbo exclaimed.

"There is a mark, I've put it there myself," Gandalf said. "Bilbo Baggins, allow me to introduce the leader of our company, Thorin Oakenshield."

"So, this is the hobbit. Tell me, Mr. Baggins, have you done much fighting?"

"Pardon me?"

"Axe or sword, what's your weapon of choice?"

"Well, I do have some skill at conkers, if you must know. But I fail to see why that's relevant."

"I thought as much. He looks more like a grocer than a burglar."

The other dwarves laugh]

Vi looked at Bilbo when he returned.

"Bilbo, how does it go?" Violet asked.

"Vi, we need to talk," Bilbo said. She looked confused then sat down at the nearest seat. "I'm sorry for bringing you into this mess."

"What mess?" Violet asked.

"There are sixteen of us in this house right now."

"I thought it was twelve dwarves, us and Gandalf. That's fifteen of us."

"Sixteen of us" Bilbo corrected.

"We have another visitor?" Vi said with delight.

"No offense to interrupt your conversing, Master Baggins," Thorin apologized, "do you have any dinner left prepared."

"Will soup do you good, Sir?" Violet said meekly. She went over to the pot.

"I guess that will do," Thorin said. He looked at her skeptically with her back turned and handed it to him. "Thank you, Mrs. Baggins."

"Miss Greenhill," Violet corrected him. "Mrs. Baggins is Bilbo's mother."

Thorin gave a nod to "Miss Greenhill and left the room to the dining table. Instead of relaxing, Vi and Bilbo decided to stand and listen to them.

"What news from the meeting in Ered Luin? Did they all come?" Balin asked.

"Aye, envoys from all seven kingdoms." Thorin nodded with a nod.

"And what did the dwarves of the Iron Hill say? Is Dáin with us?" Dwalin asked.

"They will not come," Thorin answered, with dwarves groaning in disappointment. "They say this quest is ours, and ours alone."

""What news from the meeting in Ered Luin? Did they all come?" Balin asked.

"Aye, envoys from all seven kingdoms." Thorin nodded with a nod.

"And what did the dwarves of the Iron Hill say? Is Dáin with us?" Dwalin asked.

"They will not come," Thorin answered, with dwarves groaning in disappointment. "They say this quest is ours, and ours alone."

"You're doing a quest?" Bilbo asked. They forgot the Hobbits were even there.

"Bilbo, my dear fellow, let us have a little lighter," Gandalf requested. Bilbo went to go light a candle with Violet's help. "Far to the East, over ranges and rivers, beyond woodlands and wastelands, lies a single solitary peak."

When they returned, Gandalf already has the map laid out.

"Erebor?" Violet whispered. "As in the Lonely Mountain?"