Chapter 8: Roast Mutton

They stopped for the night. Gandalf was inspecting a farmer's former home. Thorin continued barking orders out to the other dwarves.

"A farmer and his family used to live here," Gandalf muttered. Thorin came to where Gandalf was at. The wizard turned to the dwarf. "I think it would be wiser to move on. We could make for the hidden valley."

"I've told you already. I will not go near that place," Thorin snapped.

"Why not? The Elves could help us, we could get food, rest, advice."

"I do not need their advice."

"We have a map that we cannot read. Lord Elrond could help us."

Thorin turned to face Gandalf and mocked, "Help? A dragon attacks Erebor. What help came from the Elves? Orcs plunder Moria, desecrate our sacred halls, the Elves looked on and did nothing! You ask me to seek out the very people who betrayed my grandfather, who betrayed my father."

"You are neither of them," Gandalf said. "I did not give you that map and key for you to hold on to the past."

"I did not know they were yours to keep," Thorin hissed.

That was it! Gandalf was out of here. He could not take it anymore. Dwarves, Thorin's stubbornness, and their rude manners. He stormed off, causing Bilbo look at him while he was absentmindedly petting the white pony Balin rode.

"Everything alright? Gandalf, where are you going?" Bilbo shouted.

"To seek the company of the only one around here who's got any sense," Gandalf answered.

"And who's that?" Violet asked confused.

"Myself, Miss Greenhill!" Gandalf growled. "I've had enough of dwarves for one day."

Violet kept hold of her reins and went to Balin.

"Is he coming back?" Bilbo and Violet asked the dwarf. He just shrugged, not sure if Gandalf would return or not.

VIOLET~

"He's been a long time," Bilbo said looking troubled out in the night sky. Violet nodded in understand.

"Who?" Bofur asked as he put stew in two bowls.

"Gandalf," Bilbo answered.

"He's a wizard! He does as he chooses," Bofur said. He handed Bilbo and Violet two bowls of stew. "Here. Do us a favor, take this to the lads."

Bofur caught Bombur stealing food from the pot.

"Stop it, you've had plenty," Bofur scolds him.

When the hobbits reached Fíli and Kíli, the boys did nothing but stare at the ponies. They did not take the bowls from Bilbo, neither did they even bother to look at him nor Violet when she stood by Fíli. They were just staring. Then Violet decided to say something at last.

"What's the matter?" Violet asked.

"We're supposed to be looking after the ponies," Kíli answered.

"Only we've encountered a slight problem." Fíli said.

"We had sixteen," Kíli said.

"Now there's fourteen," Fíli said.

"Daisy and Bungo are missing," Kíli said after they counted them all.

"What? Well, that's not good," Bilbo said. "And that is not good at all. Shouldn't we tell Thorin?"

"I think we should," Violet agreed.

"Uh...no. Let's not worry him," Fíli said nonchalantly.

"As our official burglars, we thought you might like to look into it."