Chapter 13: Goblin-town

The Company passed by and settled down for a while in the wilderness. Then they continued on into the misty mountains, where Violet and Bilbo were further apart. Violet snuggled in between Fíli and another dwarf while Bilbo was in between Dwalin and Bofur.

"Hold on!" Thorin shouted as he led the company forward into the Misty Mountains.

"Just don't look down," Fíli said as he squeezed her shoulder.

Meanwhile, Bilbo Baggins was in between Dwalin and Bofur in the line. As the male hobbit walked, the rock under his foot gave up on him. Bilbo almost fell until Dwalin and Bofur pushed him back on where he was safe again, and Bofur's hand on Bilbo's shoulder.

"We must find shelter!" Thorin shouted to his company.

"Watch out!" Dwalin roared. Above them a massive boulder hurtled through the air, hitting the mountain side above them.

"This is no thunderstorm," Balin shouted through the rain and wind. There were stone-giants, who Violet remembered where in Gandalf's tales when she and Bilbo were children.

"Well bless me, the legends are true. Giants; Stone Giants!"

"Take cover: you fool!" Thorin shouted at Bofur. Nori pulled him away. The first giant threw a boulder to the second one the company was literally splitting apart.

"Come here Violet," Fíli said as he hugged her with one of his arms and clutched her against his chest and reached out for Kíli's hand. "Kili! Grab my hand! Ki..."

The mountain already splits. Bilbo and Dwalin were clutching each other's shoulder with one hand. They were scared and yelled as the mountain crashed with another one. Violet quickly moved her face into Fíli's wet furs of his jacket before it apparently crushed all of them.

No! No! Fíli! Fíli!" Thorin shouted. The others started running in concern.

"We're all right! We're alive!" Balin said to the company in relief.

"Where's Bilbo? Where's the other Hobbit?" Bofur shouted.

"Over here, fools," Violet shouted as she tried to reach for her friend. "Bilbo! Come on!"

"Get him! Give Violet a hand!" Dwalin shouted in concern. All of the dwarves tried to get Bilbo, mostly Bofur Ori and Violet.

Grab my hand! Bilbo!" Bofur shouted at him. As Bilbo reached out for him, Bilbo slipped again, hanging on for dear life.

Thorin realized that the Dwarves could not help Bilbo, no matter how much they tried. So, he swung down next to Bilbo and grabbed the Hobbit to hoist him up while the others pulled Bilbo safely. Thorin meanwhile was falling from the cliff until it took Dwalin to save the King.

"I thought we'd lost our burglar," Dwalin said in what was relief that they'd actually lost him. Thorin shot Bilbo a very deathly glare.

"He's been lost ever since he left home," Thorin berated. "He should never have come. He has no place amongst us. Dwalin!"

He moved on and treated Bilbo like trash. This made Mr. Baggins feel worse. They all moved on and found a cave. Most of them settled on the ground.

"Right then! Let's get a fire started!" Glóin said as he rubbed his hands together.

"No, no fire," Thorin told Glóin, who groaned disappointed. "Not in this place. Get some sleep. We start at first light."

"We were to wait in the mountains until Gandalf joined us," Balin said. "That was the plan."

"Plans change," Thorin said. He turned to Bofur and required he take first watch.

A couple moments earlier, Bilbo made sure that they all were asleep. Of course, he forgot the guard who had been keeping watch. He wanted to go back to Rivendell after hearing Thorin's hurtful words. Violet Greenhill was more of a Cauliflower than a Greenhill. He was not like Violet at all. The hobbit stroked her hair and then got up to leave.