Chapter 6 - Moral Reasons

"Will he be alright, Ms. Greenhill?" Balin asked

"Yes," Violet said. She looked accusingly at Bofur. "No thanks to you. Trying to give him a heart attack?"

"Sorry ma'am, I didn't mean harm," Bofur said to her. Violet just glared at him and then moved back to Bilbo. She

struggled to get Bilbo over her shoulder but for some reason, he was really heavy today.

"A little help over here?" Violet asked shyly.

"Since it is my fault he fainted, I'll help," Bofur said and swung bilbo's arm over his shoulder. "Where should I put him?"

"On the armchair," Violet answered as she took the cloth and dipped it in water and on Bilbo's face.

I'll be alright. Just let me sit quietly for a moment," Bilbo said nervously, who was sitting in his mother's chair, holding a cup of tea. Violet was in the room with her arms crossed and sitting in the opposite chair. Gandalf was smoking, moving around and getting furious.

"You've been sitting quietly for far too long," Gandalf snapped. "Tell me, when did doilies and your mother's dishes become so important to you? I remember a young hobbit who was always running off in search of Elves, in the woods. He'd stay out late, come home, after dark, trailing mud and twigs and fireflies. A young hobbit who would've liked nothing better than to find out what was beyond the borders of the Shire. The world is not in your books and maps. It's out there."

"I can't just go running off into the blue! I am a Baggins, of Bag End!" Bilbo exclaimed.

" You are also a Took, and the Tooks have travelled with Cauliflowers before," Gandalf said, and also gesturing to Violet, who recognized it as her mother's maiden name. "Did you know that your great, great, great, great uncle Bullroarer Took, was so large he could ride a real horse? Yes, well he could! There, he and Violet's great-great-great-great great-grandfather Cyricus Cauliflower rode out together. They charged the goblin ranks they swung Bullroarer's club so hard, it knocked the goblin king's head clean off, and it sailed a hundred yards through the air, and went down a rabbit hole. And thus, the battle as won, and the game of golf invented at the same time."

"Yes, Mom and Belladonna told me that story many times," Violet said.

"I do believe you and Mother and Mrs. Greenhill made that up." Bilbo said.

"Well, all good stories deserve embellishment," Gandalf said. "You'll have a tale or two to tell of your own when you come back."

"Can you promise that I will come back?" bilbo asked.

"No. And if you do, you'll not be the same." Gandalf said.

"That's what I thought." Bilbo said, got up and Violet took his cup. "Sorry, Gandalf, I can't sign this. You've got the wrong hobbit."

Violet sighed, put down the cup and followed Bilbo, he stopped and looked at her.

"Why don't you go on the adventure?" Violet asked.

"Moral reasons, Vi. That's it." He left but Violet grabbed his arms.

"Why are you leaving? Just tell me why you're not le—"

"I am not leaving because of you," Bilbo said as he turned back to her gaze. "I'm not leaving for you."

"You treat me like I'm a little girl," Violet said.

"No, like a little sister," Bilbo corrected her. Violet sighed.

"You're not leaving because of me?"

"Right. I can't leave you, Vi. You are one of my best friends, well in fact my only best friend. Besides if I went and you'd go with me. And if you'd went with me, then you would miss home. And I can't do that to you."