Chapter 19: Into the Woods

Title reference: Into the Woods musical

Fourteen companions sat at Beorn's table while Thorin and Gandalf were at the side. They were being given honeycombs made from the bees and milk for breakfast. Violet looked at Bilbo while she raised her eye brows and Bilbo started laughing silently as she took a sip of milk and the honeycomb.

"So, you are the one they call Oakenshield," Beorn said to Thorin, who was sitting out of the picture wrote his arms crossed. "Tell me, why is Azog the Defiler hunting you?"

"You know of Azog," Thorin said on a statement not a question. "How?"

"My people were the first to live in the mountains, before the Orcs came down from the north. The Defiler killed most of my family, but some he enslaved. Not for work, you understand, but for sport. Caging skin-changers and torturing them seemed to amuse him."

A couple of tears strolled down Violet's tears as she heard Beorn's story. Bilbo also seeing the manacles on Beorn.

"There are others like you?" Bilbo asked.

"Once there were many." Beorn answered

"And now?" Violet added.

"Now there's only one," Beorn answered. He sat on his great chair. "You need to reach the mountain before the last days of autumn."

"Before Durin's Day falls, yes," Gandalf said, Thorin's eyes widened.

"You are running out of time," Beorn deadpanned.

"Which is why we must go through Mirkwood."

"A darkness lies upon that forest, fell things creep beneath those trees. I would not venture there, except in great need."

"We will take the Elven Road. That path is still safe."

Thorin got uncomfortable. He got up and turned away with arms crossed.

"Safe? The Wood Elves of Mirkwood are not like their kin. They're less wise and more dangerous. But it matters not."

"What do you mean?" Thorin asked in alarm, literally turning his full attention.

"These lands are crawling with Orcs; their numbers are growing, and you are on foot. You will never reach the forest alive. Beorn met up to his full height and approached Thorin slowly. "I don't like dwarves, they're greedy and blind, blind to the lives of those they deem lesser than their own. "He took a mouse in his hand after Bofur shooed at out of his sleeve. Then Beorn looked over Thorin Oakenshield. "But Orcs I hate more. What do you need?"

Thorin had the company with food, water, and other supplies since they lost their packs in Mirkwood. Violet was helping with Bilbo as they were both riding the same horse. Some had to share the same because it couldn't go around.

"You will leave my ponies before you enter the forest," Beorn told the wizard.

"Oh, you have my word," Gandalf agreed. There were crows heard from the background. "We're being watched."

"Yes. The Orcs will not give up. They will hunt the Dwarves until they see them destroyed," Beorn said.

"Why now? What has made the Defiler crawl from his hole?"

"There is an alliance between the Orcs of Moria and the sorcerer in Dol Guldur."

"Are you sure of this?"

"Packs have been seen gathering there. Each day more and more come."

"What do you know of this sorcerer? The one they call the Necromancer."