Chapter 17: Limited Chances

Bilbo and Violet ran up the fields and rocks. They were sent by Gandalf to spy on Azog's company. It was a few days after they left the Carrock and Violet's wound was on the mends. She had Óin check it once in a while; and he said she was doing fine. Over the course of these couple of months, she and Bilbo grew close to most of the dwarves. Of course, they were already close to Balin, Bofur, Fíli and Kíli at the beginning, but it was becoming clear that they were becoming better friends with the rest of the company. A few days ago, Thorin apologized to them for his absurd behavior. In fact, one night, Violet talked to Thorin when they were stuck in that cave for a couple of days after a storm hit them, mostly because she was sick herself. However, the hobbits wished to be on first name terms rather than applying mannerisms.

At first, Thorin was reluctant to allow Violet and Bilbo go out there to scout for the track. However, Gandalf had been able to convince Thorin that the hobbits would be fine. The duo hobbits stood at the rocks. They peered over the rocks where they saw Azog and his company two leagues away from their current location. Azog was quick, but Bilbo was quicker. He and Violet hid from the rocks to avoid the Defiler spotting the two hobbits. Violet sighed in relief at Azog just ignoring their presence. Like mice, the burglars were quiet. Violet turned around and saw they weren't the only ones watching Azog. It was a huge black bear. She yanked on Bilbo's sleeve and he turned and saw what she saw.

"Go, I'll catch up with you," Bilbo whispered to her.

Violet looked unsure at Bilbo, but then reluctantly agreed. Bilbo looked at the big bear. Well, he would face a giant dragon in a few weeks, but this bear wouldn't be anywhere near terrifying. Bilbo thought to himself for a while, but then turned to catch up with Violet and down the path they had just crossed.

Thorin waited anxiously for the hobbits to return from their scouting. He suddenly felt a little bit worried something happened to them. He looked, seeing the rest of the company, waited for Bilbo and Violet to show up out of worry for them; however, there was no sign of them until he heard the sound of rustling from the leaves. Whatever it was, the company was going to get it first. Thorin wasn't paying attention with Orcrist out ready to attack their attacker. He almost brought it for the kill, but the king stopped when Violet, whosaw that the sword was meant for her, but stopped.

"Whoa, it's only me!" Violet said. Thorin stood down.

"I apologize Miss Greenhill, we did not know it was you," Thorin said to her sincerely.

He lowered his sword. He looked behind Miss Violet alone and grew concerned for the other hobbit's safety.

Thorin asked worriedly, "Where's Master Baggins?"

"Right here!" Bilbo said at the sound of his name. He came next to Violet out of breath. She went over to her best friend and tried to get him better with the water pack she had found still secure on her belt before they left the Misty Mountains.

"How close is the pack?" Thorin asked the hobbits.

"Too close," Bilbo answered. "A couple of leagues, no more, but that is not the worst of it."

"Have the Wargs picked up our scent?" Dwalin inquired.

"Not yet, Dwalin, but they will," Violet answered. All the dwarves circle daround Violet and Bilbo.

"Yeah, we have another problem," Bilbo added, still panting.

"Did they see you two?" Gandalf asked. When the hobbits didn't answer, Gandalf took for the worst and was alarmed. It made everyone nervous to be honest. "They saw you!"

"No, that's not it," Bilbo shook his head.

"What did I tell you?" Gandalf asked, with a smile and pride overcoming him of both Violet and Bilbo. "Quiet as a mouse. Excellent burglar material."

Everyone besides Thorin, Bilbo and Violet chuckled. He was too busy being wary of the orcs and Wargs gaining on them. It was even Bilbo and Violet who were worrying of the Orcs, the Wargs, and the skin changer following them.

"Will you listen?" Violet said, but the dwarves were too excited. "HEY!"

The dwarves stopped chuckling and were now paying attention at her.

"We're trying to tell you there is something else out there," Bilbo said, pointing back the direction he and Violet came from. Thorin did not like the sound of that, sharing looks with Dwalin and rolling his eyes. The other dwarves went from excitement to worry.

"What form did it take?" Gandalf asked suspiciously. "Like a bear?"

"Ye..." Bilbo began answering, but he was taken aback. Violet's look made him realize that Gandalf knew what he and Violet were talking about. "Yes, but bigger. Much bigger."

"You knew about this beast?" Bofur questioned.

Gandalf didn't answer. He just turned away with most of the dwarves looking accusingly at Gandalf. This beast was a skin-changer. He chose whatever form he wanted, whether it be a bear or a man. It had been a long time since he heard that man's name. He wasn't looking at the dwarves no more, but thinking. If they could get to the skin-changer's house, then he would either help them, or not at all.

"I say we double back," Bofur suggested.

"I would not think that would be a wise idea, Bofur," Violet said.

"She's right," Thorin agreed with Violet. "If we double back, we'll be run down by a pack of Orcs."

The dwarves were quarreling with each other gently.

"There is a house," Gandalf said. The company stopped bickering and looked at Gandalf surprised. Most of them thought to themselves: Why did you not say something soon, Wizard? Others thought: Why are we standing around here then still? They were shooting him both surprised and dangerous looks.

"It's not far from here," Gandalf said, "Where we might take refuge."

"Whose house? Are they friend or foe?" Thorin asked.

"Neither. He will help us, or he will kill us," Gandalf answered the dwarves. They were very uneasy right now.

"Our choices are limited," Violet said, the dwarves looking at her, "Either be killed by a pack of Orcs slash Wargs, or try seeking refuge with a person who will spare us or kill us.

"Does it matter, Vi?" Kíli asked. "Neither one of our options sound good."

"You're right, Miss Greenhill," Thorin told her, "What choice do we have?"

A roar split into the early morning. This limited all of their options.

"None," Gandalf answered the three quarreling members.