Chapter 11: Of Hidden Messages and Messy Dining Rooms

They were allowed to rest for a while before dinner was ready. Eventually, things came to an end, so they preceded their way to the dining tables. Violet and Bilbo sat separately, with Vi sitting with Kíli. Thorin, Elrond, and Gandalf sat at the High Table.

Violet was eating, and she saw Dwalin looked through the plate for meat.

"Where's the meat?" Dwalin asked.

"Have they got any chips?" Ori said while looking at the table for chips.

"Vi, how can you eat that?" Kíli asked as he watched her scarfing it down her throat.

She looked at him and swallowed her last bite. Violet answered Kíli with, "I'm hungry.

Kíli winked at the Elf, Violet noticed. She knew Thorin would not like that his nephew was flirting with one of them. Dwalin was giving them a scowl, but mostly to Kíli.

"Can't say I fancy Elf maids myself. Too thin," Kíli said, with Dwalin pretending to understand as he nodded. "They're all high cheekbones and creamy skin. Not enough facial hair for me. Although... That one there's not bad."

Violet smiled at Kíli's remark, until she looked back at the Elf that was playing the other harpist.

"Uh Kíli," she said without looking at him. "I think you should check again.

Dwalin heard her, so he told Kíli, "That's not an elf maid."

Back at another dining table, Elrond was overlooking Thorin's sword. He looked at all runes.

"This is Orcrist, the Goblin-cleaver. A famous blade forged by the High Elves of the West. My kin." Elrond gave the sword back to Thorin. "May it serve you well."

Thorin gave a nod, and then Elrond took Gandalf's sword.

"And this is Glamdring, the Foe-hammer, sword of the King of Gondolin. These swords were made for the Goblin wars of the First..."

Bilbo looked at his sword, wondering also what the name of his Elven dagger would be. Balin, who was sitting next to Bilbo, told him otherwise.

"I wouldn't bother, laddie," Balin advised Bilbo with a sympathetic voice. "Swords are named for their great deeds they do in war."

Bilbo looked at Balin.

"What are you saying, my sword hasn't seen battles?" Bilbo asked.

"I'm not actually sure it is a sword. More of a letter opener, really," Balin sorrowfully admitted.

Bilbo's eyes widen, and his eyebrows almost reached his hair line.

"How did you come by these?" Elrond asked.

"We found them in a troll hoard on the Great East road, shortly before we were ambushed by Orcs," Gandalf explained.

"And what were you doing on the Great East road?" Elrond asked.

"Excuse me," Thorin said, getting up.

"Thirteen Dwarves and two Halflings," Elrond said, unusual by the scene. "Hm. Strange traveling companions, Gandalf."

"These are the descendants of the house of Durin," Gandalf explained, unaware Nori was putting a salt shaker inside his jacket. "They're noble, decent folk. And they're surprisingly cultured. They've got a deep love of the arts."

"Change the tune why don't you!" Nori complained to the Harpist. He twitched his fingers between his eyes. "I feel like I'm at a funeral."

"Did somebody die?" Óin asked, not hearing what Nori said.