Chapter 10: Travel to Rivendell

The two wizards talked. Gandalf and Radagast were now alone, far away from the Company.

"The Greenwood is sick, Gandalf," Radagast said. "A darkness has fallen over it, nothing grows anymore. At least nothing good. The air is foul decay, but worse are the webs."

"Webs? What do you mean?" Gandalf asked.

"Spiders, Gandalf. Giant ones," Radagast explained. "Some kind of spawn of Ungallant, or I'm not a wizard. I followed their trail. They came from Dol Guldur."

"Dol Guldur?" Gandalf looked to Radagast this time. "But the old fortress is abandoned."

"No, Gandalf. It is not," Radagast said.

A dark power dwells in there, such as I have never felt before. It is the shadow of an ancient horror...

Radagast goes through Dol Guldur, with his staff in hand. Unaware, a ghost with a sword in hand is readying to attack the wizard himself.

One that can summon the spirits of the dead...

The ghost starts to use its sword against the poor, frightened Radagast. He takes his staff to stop it from killing him. They fight for some time until Radagast defeated the ghost by throwing its sword onto the ground and the ghost disappears.

I saw him, Gandalf. From out of the darkness, the Necromancer has come!

Then, Radagast rushed to his carriage of bunnies and the cart takes off and the bats fallow him.

"Sorry," Radagast apologizes as he was shaking.

"Try a little old Toby. It'll help setting your nerves." Gandalf said. He whipped his pipe and Radagast inhaled, then ex-haled. "Now, the Necromancer. Are you sure?"

Radagast took the sword and gave it to Gandalf, showing it to him. "That is not from the world of the living."

Then, there was a howling sound.

Was that a wolf?" Bilbo said terrified. He remembered his maternal cousin had joked about him of the adventures he took and hearing wolves. "Are there...are there wolves out there?"

"Wolves? No, that is not a wolf," Bofur assured the hobbit.

A gigantic Warg showed up and attacked from behind the company. Bilbo, Bofur and Violet looked behind themselves as everyone gasped. As it leaped down onto their level, Dwalin killed it with his two axes. And Thorin sleighed it after Dwalin did. t. Another one came to lunge at Thorin.

"Thorin look out!" Violet shouted as she took a bow and arrow and hit the Warg. It was later slain by Thorin. He pulled the curved blade out of the Warg's corpse.

"Warg scouts! Which means an orc pack is not far behind!" Thorin shouted.

Bilbo and Violet asked terrified, "Orc pack?"

"Who did you tell about your quest, beyond your kin?" Gandalf asked Thorin.

"No one, I swear!" Thorin shouted, after Gandalf asked a second time. "What in Durin's name is going on?"

"You are being hunted," Gandalf answered.

"We have to get out of here," Dwalin said.

Ori and his brother returned. "We can't! We have no ponies. They bolted."

Great, Violet thought.

"I'll draw them off," Radagast said.

"These are Gundabad Wargs. They will outrun you!" Gandalf reminded him.