Chapter 26

WHAT THE HECK GUYS THERE'S OVER 13,000 READS ON THIS STORY WHAT IS THIS I DON'T UNDERSTAND GOOD GRACIOUS. You guys are all lovely :) thank you for taking the time to read and all :) it would be great too if you could give feedback.

Or not, that's cool too.

I really don't care if you do or don't buT IT WOULD BE COOL IF YOU DID.

I'm lame, I'm sorry :( I hope you guys enjoy this chapter, it's the second to last. x

One day later.

“Would you quit it?” James grumbles as Georgia makes another sweep through the kitchen. She sighs, “I just want it to be clean for when dad comes home and Luke comes over later.” James glances up from his bowl of cereal, “I didn’t take an extra day off to see my sister act like my mother, no c’mon Geeps.” Georgia’s shoulders tense at the mention of a mother, but she relaxes afterward. “It’s three days before Christmas, James, what do you expect me to do?”

“Lighten up a little, sis.”

“I can’t just lighten up, James,” she sneers in that loving sibling way. “The boys lost the competition and Luke is really upset. It’s not that easy. I-I just want everything to be perfect.” James snorts and stands up to put his emptied cereal bowl on the counter next to the sink. “Nothing’s perfect, Geeps,” he says while patting her shoulder. “I’m sure you know that by now.”

In a mocking tone, she grumbles under her breath before emptying the dustpan. “Whatever, James, go run off with Brittany or something,” she teases, reaching over to pinch his hip. He smiles and nods, “I can do that if you want me to.” Immediately she shakes her head, “No, no, stay here with me! Dad won’t be here until later, same with Luke.” James snickers and reaches around her neck to pull her back into his chest, tickling her sides, “That’s what I thought you said!”

Through her giggles, she protests in a gasping voice, “St-Stop it, J-James! I-It tickles!” He rolls his eyes and throws her over his shoulder, “That’s kind of the point, Georgia.” Beating against his back, she shakes her head in a futile attempt to try and get him to let her go. “Well I don’t like it!” she huffs, pouting as she crosses her arms. He walks her all the way into her room and then tosses her as gently as possible onto the bed. Still having her arms crossed over her chest, she pouts as she looks up at him. “You’re a meanie,” she says in a childish voice.

James shrugs, “I can be lots of other, worse, things, I guess.” Georgia rolls her eyes and sits up, holding Luke’s penguin to her chest. She buries her nose into the top of the penguin’s head, and if she sniffs hard enough, Luke’s scent still lingers there. “You’re a sap,” James says, pulling his legs up onto the bed as he sits. She narrows her eyes, “Am not.” He nods, “Are too.”

Georgia rolls her eyes and plays with the feet of the penguin, “How old are we again?” James snorts, his eyes crinkling at the sides. “I think you meant, What’s my age again?” She face palms herself dramatically, “How could I have passed that up?!” They burst into a fit of giggles, sobering up moments later.

“So,” James trails, lengthening the words.

Georgia raises a light eyebrow, “So?”

He sighs, “You’re serious about this kid, aren’t you?” Instantly her cheeks turn bright pink, “I-I’m not really sure what you mean, James.” As he runs a hand through his hair, his eyes are flitting around the room, looking at all the photos Georgia has placed here and there and somewhere else. He’s always loved his sister’s photography side, except for the fact that she inherited it from her mother. He can remember even as a child that his mother brought a camera with her everywhere she went. Consequentially, she was into scrapbooking. He can recall the concentrated look that would pull his mother’s eyebrows together as she focused on where to put this photo, or this embellishment, or this page.