Chapter 14

As Georgia bounds down the stairs, she hears her father’s questioning voice from the kitchen. “Geeps?” he calls. “Yeah, dad?” she responds while picking up an apple, her hair flying around as she bends down to put on her shoes. “Where’s your car, honey?” She smiles as she hears a new car’s engine rumbling as it pulls into the driveway. She shouts as she runs out the door, slinging her backpack over her shoulder, “Luke’s house! Love you, daddy, see you later!”

Jonathon rolls his eyes and mumbles something under his breath as he watches his baby girl jump into the car with the blonde who he knows has had a rough past. He sighs, “Just take care of her, yeah? Don’t break my baby’s heart.”

“No, wait,” Georgia protests, giggling as she leans forward to slap Luke’s hand away from the dial. “I like that song.”

He smiles and puts his hand back on the wheel as he turns down another road. “I wish I didn’t have soccer,” he mumbles. Georgia suspects it was just supposed to be for his ears only, but her curiosity eats at her stomach and so she asks, “Why’s that?” He shrugs and becomes silent for a minute before biting his lip. “Because then I could ditch school.” She scrunches her eyebrows together and clasps her hands together in her lap. “Why would you want to ditch?” Georgia questions, turning her body to face him.

A blush creeps up Luke’s neck and splashes onto his cheeks, “No reason.” Georgia laughs and sits up in her seat. “No, tell me,” she insists. Luke shrugs, “It’s stupid.” Georgia rolls her eyes as he pulls into his signature parking space in the junior lot. He grabs his backpack out of the backseat and opens his door. Georgia sits in the car, her arms crossed over her chest.

“What are you doing?” Luke asks as he pulls open her door. She shakes her had and sticks her nose in the air, facing away from him. Luke chuckles and unbuckles her belt for her, pulling her body with ease to face him. “If you keep turning your head, you might break your neck,” he teases, tucking his index under her chin and bringing her head to face him. “Seriously, Geeps.” She pouts, “I just want you to tell me.”

Luke laughs, “It was a silly little thought, Geepsy, nothing to get bent out of shape over.” He kisses her forehead and picks up her backpack from the floorboards. Huffing, Georgia pouts, “Then you can just tell me if it’s so silly.” Luke rolls his eyes and takes a step back so she can get out of the Jeep.

“Well, I dunno,” he mumbles, rubbing the back of his neck with his fingertips. “I was just thinking of ditching school with you and maybe like, driving around or something.”

Georgia beams up at him and wraps her fingers around his. “That’s cute,” she tells him as they walk into the front doors. The first thing they notice, though, is a certain blonde standing off to the side with a big group of the popular jocks and cheerleaders and the likes. A few seconds after they walk in, Georgia and Luke hear a fit of giggles and chuckles coming from the group. When she looks up, Georgia sees that all of their eyes are skating over her body, smirks and satisfied smiles tugging up their lips.

She just decides to ignore it as Luke guides her to her locker. “Hey Georgia,” Calum greets. The newfound acquaintanceship with the dark skinned boy has come as an odd occurrence to Geeps, but she shrugs it off and decides to be cordial with a wave and a polite smile. “How’re you, Calum?” she asks as she pulls out her science book. He smiles, “I’m good. Are you coming to our game this weekend?” Georgia raises an eyebrow and looks over to Luke. “I didn’t know you guys had a game this weekend,” she says slowly, watching as Luke shifts his weight from foot-to-foot. Calum nods, “Yeah, it’s against our rival school – the first game that starts for districts!” He looks so excited, Georgia wonders how it somehow managed to slip Luke’s mind.