[9]

Arthur sprinted down the corridor, opening Gaius's little wooden door suddenly.

"Merlin!" He yelled, then stopped trying to contain his excitement and act like he didn't care that much.

Merlin weakly spun his head around to look at the King who smiled softly at him.

"You idiot," he muttered to Merlin who just grinned, "what happened?"

"No idea," Merlin lied again, shrugging his aching shoulders.

"It wasn't I mean... You didn't do it on purpose or anything?" Arthur whispered awkwardly.

"I was going to say you don't treat me that bad, but actually -"

"If you weren't Ill I'd throw another pot at you!" Arthur interrupted, laughing.

He felt reassured that Merlin was alive and hadn't done it purposely. He didn't know why he'd even thought that anyway, he was being silly - worrying too much; good servants are hard to come by!

"So you can get back to work soon," he declared.

"No I think I'm too ill at the moment" Merlin replied fake coughing.

"Work tommorow," he ordered smirking.

"Actually if it means I can see you on the floor again -"

"Merlin!" Exclaimed Arthur

"Shut up?" Merlin asked, making Arthur nod.

Finally Merlin was alone again, his thoughts swallowing him up so he felt like he was in the lake again, purposely falling deeper. He was scared about what his intention was in the lake, he was trying to convince himself it was all a mistake, he wasn't thinking properly. He had a lot of things on his shoulders so he'd been stressing, maybe that explained it?

The door opened again and Arthur appeared.

"Sire?" Merlin said, remembering him to have come in only minutes ago.

"Merlin, I need to ask you something,"

"Okay..." Merlin replied nervously wondering what his next words would be.

"Those scars? On your body, they're everywhere. Why? How? Who?" Arthur questioned, so confused like he'd only just discovered them.

Merlin didn't reply, he didn't want to, he didn't want to revisit those painful memories. He couldn't.

"Merlin! I'm the king you have to tell me!"

"What are you going to do? Hang me?" Merlin replied.