[15]

"What the hell did you do!" Arthur screamed, dropping his sword and running over to Merlin, who had just jumped off at least an 8 metre tall wall belonging to the castle.

He yelled at one of the guards to fetch Gaius and watched him run off. Arthur looked tearfully down on Merlin, clutching his body tightly, his head jerked side to side stiffly, his body being controlled by his one thought: why?

Arthur had laughed at Merlin as soon as he had attempted to stand up for that boy Arthur had been teasing. He had instantly despised Merlin but there was something about him, even when he knew Arthur was the Kings son he dared himself to reply to Arthur's cruelness. Arthur had admired Merlin's courage, his bravery towards what he believed was right and wrong. Arthur had needed that: he had been a prince after all, one day a King! He had to have no fear or it would affect the whole of Camelot. Merlin seemed to naturally have this inside him that would automatically take control when he knew something was wrong and Arthur envied him for that.

He was wise as well, this sagacious, mysterious man hidden beneath his clumsy, foolish self. Sometimes it felt like Merlin was putting on a silly act to hide it, as if he was ashamed of this knowledgeable person he had in him.

Merlin was the last person Arthur would think to do something like this, he hadn't had much pain in his life other than hard work and a bit of fighting, sure he'd seen wars but so had Arthur. Merlin was a genuinely happy person although everyone knew he hid a part of himself in shame.

Gaius approached Merlin, heartbroken. Seeing Merlin, the boy who was like a son to him, the boy he had seen transform from a bumbling idiot into a brave, understanding man, lying like death on the floor, shredded his heart like paper.

"What happened sire?" He asked, kneeling down beside Merlin to examine his injuries.

The King buried his face in one of his hands, dragging down a bit showing his distress. He found he was unable to explain Merlin's crazy actions, a lump in his throat began to suffocate him slowly.

"He... Jumped," Arthur whispered, Gaius stared wide eyed at the king unsure what to think.

"But sire-"

"I'm sorry Gaius, but he did. It was no accident," confirmed Arthur unsteadily, "what can be done? Is he okay?"