Chapter Thirteen

Christopher chose to follow the path he had last seen the crimson shadow take. As he was making his way through the dark corridor, silently hoping this would be the way that would lead him to his escape; he heard footsteps approaching. His mind started racing at the thought of his eminent capture but his feet did not move an inch.

He looked around for a place for him to hide. There were two doors close by; he tried the first one - open. He could not believe his luck. It was as his mother used to say; in life, a little luck goes a long way. He entered the room without blinking an eye, it was dark; right now the darkness was his friend it would shield him from the 'enemy'.

He closed the door hastily making sure that not a peep was detected. His body was flattened against the hard, cold wood. Something was off, something did not feel right, but this nagging feeling didn't scare him as it should have. A muffled snort alerted him that his was not alone. He stopped breathing trying to hide his presence until his captors went past the room and he could make his escape.

A hot, moist, pocket of air brushed his face. It smelled horrible; Christopher couldn't stop his hand from rising to cover his nose and mouth. It was a foul sweet smell, a mixture of hay and overripe apples that fell down from the tree and melted under the heat of the sun. A gentle push to his left leg to the right - the unexpected touch nearly made him loose his balance. His hand instinctively reached for the object that pushed him. It was warm with long, coarse hair. It was not a cloudperson, for that Christopher was sure.

Hesitantly he reached out once more and gently grazed his fingers over the hair, he then slowly but firmly traced them over the face. It was narrow and long with a rough, twisting horn in the middle.

Was this real?

Was any of this real?

Unicorns exist?

He was so fascinated and with a renewed boldness he started petting the unicorn and walking around its body. On earth, he loved animals, he was always surrounded by animals. He had grown up at his family's house in the mountains; they had chickens, goats, sheep, dogs. His late granddad used to own a horse; Christopher loved the rides his grandpapa would take him on the horse, it was the highlight of his days when he was a child. That brought a sweet smile on his face.

"Do you have a name?" He whispered as he brushed his fingers through the unicorn's mane. The image of a thunder flashed in front of his eyes. He grazed his arms over the animal's magnificent wings. He couldn't see Thunder because of the darkness so he used his hands to form the image in his mind.

"So Thunder, I'm Christopher and right now I'm looking for a way out of this prison." A cataclysm of images overloaded Christopher's brain as Thunder showed him in detail how to leave the prison.

"Thank you. I will be back to visit as soon as the mock wars are finished "l," he said and bend down to press his forehead against the warm animal body. The image of sunlight assured him that his visit would be welcomed.

Christopher swiftly made his way through the tunnels Thunder had shown him. He found his comrades and looked around for his commanding officer. Leo and Elijah walked over to him.

"You got out?" Elijah asked and his eyes almost popped out of their sockets.

"Yeah," he replied.

"Took you long enough," Leo scolded.

Christopher turned to face Leo with a puzzled look.

"Don't pay attention to him," Elijah put in, "he's a man-child because he lost the bet."

"Bet?" Christopher demanded raising his eyebrow.

"Well, after your little show at the barracks, a few of the guys had a teeny-weeny, little bet going on your imminent escape." Elijah explained.

"Couldn't you escape five hours earlier?" Leo fussed.

"Let's see...um no, I was busy getting my ass knocked about by Lily."

"Oh, I feel sorry for you. She is the strongest cloudsoldier, after the Queen and Joas that is," Leo informed him.

"Come let's go find some food." Elijah pushed both of them towards the mess hall.

As soon as their group walked into the food hall everyone was looking their way. "How big was that bet?" Christopher asked his friends.

"It's not because of the bet," Leo said in a quiet voice.

Christopher locked eyes with Leo and realized why he was attracting so much attention, they all knew who he was - The One.

"Curiosity is as big here as it was on earth," Christopher mumbled.

"Can't blame them after what happened," Elijah replied with a shrug.

"What happened? What are you talking about?" Christopher demanded.

"The One, the one before you, let's just say he was not a very good guy. Now EAT!" Elijah commanded.

Christopher looked down on his plate. He had so many questions for his friends but the loud growl from the pit of his stomach stopped him in his tracks. He was ravenous, after lunch he decided he would get his answers.

___________
Hi!!

Thanks for reading.

Don't forget to comment and vote!
♡♡♡♡