Mask

Comment and vote!

Love lots -AV

Another day and another mysterious text from an unknown number. Another gift at his locker. Another note with some romantic poem.

Mitch didn't know whether to be scared or flattered that someone was taking their time to stalk him.

"Scotty, are you sure you don't know who the hell is sending me this stuff?" He questioned him best friend.

"I really don't Mitchie. But it has to be someone that goes here. Otherwise how would they get stuff in your locker. And it has to be someone that you see regularly because they keep complimenting your outfits and hair and stuff."

"True, I just wish I knew who it was. At least I could tell them to back off."

"As if you're not enjoying all this attention Queen."

Mitch rolled his eyes but couldn't disagree with his friend. 

The notes and gifts and messages went on for another week before Mitch had finally had enough.

Mitch: I really want to know who you are

Unknown: You do know me

Mitch: No I don't you won't tell me your name

Unknown: That's because if people found out I'm gay, it would ruin me

Mitch: So you're just going to keep playing this game

Mitch showed Scott the messages, needing his best friend's advice. Of course Scott told him to tell the dude to fuck off, if Mitch was important to the guy, he'd come out and accept whatever lay ahead. Mitch smiled and began typing the response.

Mitch: You can either suck it up and come out at least to me

Mitch: Or you can take your presents and shove them up your closeted ass

Unknown: You're so sassy and I love it

Unknown: Give me a few days, let me think

Unknown: Do you really want me to stop with the gifts until then???

Mitch: Shower the Queen

Mitch: At least until you decide

Unknown: Your wish is my command your majesty

Another week, more presents but no messages had been exchanged. Mitch's mystery guy hadn't gotten the courage to send anything else. Today was special, however, there was no gift at his locker. During fourth period he was called to the front office. Waiting on the counter was a dozen orchids, card attached.

Meet me Friday night at the Halloween dance. I'll be by the tree in the courtyard at 8:30, a black tux, phantom mask.

Mitch's heart was beating out of his chest when he made it to the parking lot. He showed Scott his flowers and the card. His smile growing impossibly wider as his friend grinned back at him.

"This is awesome Mitchy! You get to find out who your mystery man is."

"I know! Now I just have to find a costume for the dance. What are you going as?"

"Well..." Scott smirked down at the brunette, "my date and I are doing a couples costume."

"Wait! What?!?"

"Mmhhmm..."

"Who?"

"You'll never guess who!"

"Alex that art guy?"

"Nope."

"Mason or Mark?"

"No... I think they're actually going together."

"Who then?!"

"Avriel Kaplan!"

Mitch was shocked, Avi Kaplan was co-captain of the football team. No way he was gay.

"I know what you're thinking." Scott continued, "he's bi. We've actually been talking for a while now."

Mitch slapped the blonde's arm. "Why the hell didn't you tell me!?"

"First of all ow! And second he wasn't ready to come out. The Halloween dance will be his official coming out."

"Scotty, this is wonderful! We both have dates. Now if only I actually knew who mine was."

------------------------------------

The night of the dance. Mitch had caught a ride with Scott and Avi, hoping he'd have a way home with whoever his mystery man was. Scott and Avi were the cutest Captain Hook and Peter Pan he'd ever seen. Since he was meeting the Phantom of the Opera, Mitch only saw fitting to dress as Raoul de Chagney. He hoped his date would get the costume because Scott certainly hadn't.

Mitch walked into the gym before Scott and Avi so he could gage the reactions from everyone else when the brunette football star walked in with one of the biggest choir nerds in school. Much to Avi's relief the school didn't burn down, there were subtle gasps, and a few whispers but nothing to concern him too much. Tonight was his first night officially out with his boyfriend and nothing was going to ruin it.

As 8:30 approaches Mitch got nervous. Scott's date noticed and leaned to whisper in his ear.

"Hey, don't worry. He's just as nervous as you are."

Mitch was confused, "you know who it is?"

"Yup. And he likes you a lot. He doesn't shut up about how cute you are. Which I suppose I'm the same way about Scotty."

"So this isn't a setup or anything?"

Avi shook his head and nodded at the clock on the wall. It was 8:20, Mitch needed to make his way outside.

He walked into the courtyard, the centerpiece of which was a giant Ginkgo tree. The branches were low enough you could easily sit on them. That's where he saw his secret admirer.

He was built, Mitch could tell that much. He had on a black tux with a cape and a mask that covered most of his face. However, Mitch could make out his deep complexion and bright teeth as the smaller man made his way over.

"Ahh, Raoul? Come to be kidnapped?"

"Depends on where you're taking me."

"Just to the dance my dear."

"Do I get to see your face? Or do I just call you Erik?"

"Come take the mask off."

Mitch stepped until the two were chest to chest. He looked into the deep brown eyes that bore down through the mask. Hesitantly and carefully he removed the obstruction. The man in front of him smiling even wider than before.

"Kevin Olusola? That's why Avi knew you liked me!"

"You talked to Av?"

"A little bit."

"So... now that you know it's me, do you still want to be my date?"

"Of course I do! No one has ever done anything so sweet for me. I love all your notes and gifts. I'll cherish them."

Mitch stood on his tiptoes to kiss Kevin's cheek, warmth spreading across the taller man's face. When the boy stepped back, Kevin reached out his arm.

"Shall we my Queen?"

"Yes, we shall."