Shock

Stunned silence permeated the glen. Everyone was teetering on the edge of disbelief and indescribable joy.

It was Frisk that ended the silence. No longer able to contain herself, she ran towards the figures screaming, "Asriiellll!!!"

Asriel hadn't noticed Frisk until she screamed and ran towards him. He looked at her with a blank, confused look for a moment.

Then, suddenly his eyes grew wide with a sudden rage and fear and mustering up his strength, he shouted, "GET BACK! Don't even think about trying it!"

Frisk gasped and stopped, shocked and scared and upset. What-?

Suddenly the human seemed to notice what his companion saw and he too straightened up and said in a loud ragged voice. "Don't you dare take another step forward!" He pointed his broken sword at Frisk and his breathing grew short and quick. A crazed look was in his eyes.

Frisk stood with a hurt look on her face. "Asriel...it's me..."

"Asriel?" Asgore shakily spoke. His flame sputtered and died out momentarily before he re-lit it. Toriel was silent with her hands over her mouth in shock.

Asriel paid him no attention as he attempted to muster up an attack.

Frisk made another step towards them when the strange human, to the shock and worry of all, produced a handgun he had been apparently carrying. He aimed it right at Frisk and said in a dark voice, "If you take another step forward...you're really not gonna like what happens next."

Sans in the back of the group raised his eyebrows in surprise and shock and, had anyone been looking at him, would've seen the most surprised look he had in many years.

The human made a step threateningly towards Frisk when he cried out in pain and fell over. His leg was broken and he had tried to walk on it in desperation. His fall also brought down Asriel, who passed out from fear and exhaustion.

\

The human was placed in a chair surrounded by blue bones placed by Papyrus. He was given some magic monster noodles to bring up his HP, which, to the relief of all was a normal 20. After he had been healed, the human looked at his captors with an expression of disbelief. He had initially tried to get up out his chair before Papyrus's blue bones were placed there. He looked as if he was about to cry. On the other side of the room lay Asriel on a makeshift cot. He had been healed as well but he was exhausted and lay there in silence.

The human spoke up, "I'm very sorry...I guess me and Asriel are experiencing some hallucinations..."

Toriel stepped toward the strange human after she had been sitting by her son, holding his hand. She looked at him with tears in her eyes and said, "Who are you?"

Something came over the human. He looked at her in absolute incredulity and whispered, "You don't....know me...?" Suddenly, tears formed in the boy's eyes and he began to sob.

The monsters looked around at each other confused and slightly embarrassed.

The boy's sobbing seemed to have an effect on Asriel, because he strained and sat up and spoke for the first time ever, "Ray, what's wrong?"

All monsters looked at Asriel and he soon found himself in the embrace of his family.

Asgore whispered in his tears, "Son how are you here? We've missed you so..."

Frisk was clasping onto Asriel crying, "Asriel, how did you get back?"

The Prince was shocked at first, then began to cry and hold his family close.

Ray, the boy, was forgotten for a moment as the other monsters watched the reunion. That is, until a movement was heard followed by a smack and a cry of pain.

Looking back, it was to everyone's surprise that Ray had taken the chance of getting hurt and ran right through the bones towards the crying huddle. He was bunched up on the floor in tears. Undyne attempted to contain him when Asriel said suddenly, "Leave Ray alone!"

Everyone looked at him in surprise as he ran over to Ray and held him close.

"Oh shoot. Are you ok, Ray?"

Ray looked up and cracked a small smile. "Course I am...bro."

Gasps went up when this was said. Asriel helped Ray up.

"Asriel," Toriel wondered, "what are you saying? And who is this human?"

Ray and Asriel looked at each other and Asriel nodded as if they had communicated telepathically. "Ok."

He looked up at his family and friends and said, "Mom, Dad, this is Ray. He's my brother."

\

The silence that followed this was, once again, broken by Frisk.

"You don't have a brother, Asriel."

Asgore and Toriel suddenly looked at Frisk and asked her, "Frisk, how do you know Asriel?"

Frisk suddenly went silent and hung her head.

The two looked at her and Asriel with shock on their faces.

Ray and Asriel looked at each other again and Ray spoke up, "Who's Frisk?"

Frisk looked at Ray with a look of distrust and said, "I happen to be the one who helped free the monsters from the underground. Right, Asriel?"

All looked at Asriel for answers to this enigmatic declaration. But he looked at Frisk with the same blank look as before and shook his head. "I don't know who you are..."

Frisk's face dropped and she looked at him like he had betrayed her.

"You....you really don't remember me Asriel? You followed me throughout the Underground..."

Ray spoke up. "Um...I don't think so. I was the only human that fell down there..."

The monsters were confused by this.

Sans spoke up, 'kid, i guarantee you, we've never seen you before."

Ray looked up and saw Sans. He and Sans stared at one another for a while until Sans nodded to himself as if he found answers to what he was wondering.

"y'know, i think these guys have been through a lot. maybe we ought to give them some time to rest."

Frisk looked at the skeleton as if she wanted to object to this, but one look from Sans to her gave her second thoughts. Looking back towards the two wanderers, she realized they did look very exhausted, especially Asriel. So she reluctantly agreed with him.

After some final hugs and words of love to Asriel and some apologies between Ray and some of the other monsters, Asriel and Ray were moved into a tent and everyone made their way to their own tents. Sleep did not come easy that night, however, except for the Two Wanderers who fell asleep almost instantly.