Home?

Ray and Asriel stepped out of the car as they gazed at their new home. They had driven for only about half an hour when they had entered the suburbs of the City. The roads were lined with a few small gas stations, restaurants and neighborhoods. On the drive, Ray had been glad to see that a new Grillby's had been built on the Surface. Ray could see both monsters and humans walking in and out of the bar/grill.

All around were the marks of humanity and monsterkind integrating.

Grillbys had a billboard advertising the finest of monster foods and human foods along with original cocktails designed by the bartender/owner, Grillby the Fire Monster.

Humans were growing some Underground plants in their gardens while monsters walked around with clothes advertising human culture; bands, tv shows and movies were all seen.

The car passed one restaurant with an interesting message: "We love our Monster Friends!" (The exclamation point was an upside down 'i').

As the car drove through town, they were bombarded with honks and arm waving everywhere. It seemed that many people in the town recognized the Dreemurr Car and waved trying to grab the attention of their royal friends. Frisk recognized some of them and waved her hand and mouthed "Hi!!" when she could.

Asriel and Ray were speechless. It almost seemed too good to be true. Humans and Monsters living together in harmony on the Surface.

Asriel was looking out the window and held back a sniffle looking at the perfection of it all. Frisk noticed his eyes water up and she patted his shoulder and smiled at him when he looked around. Without saying anything, he knew from the look in her eyes that she was telling him that it was all thanks to him. To Frisk, it didn't matter that he was from another timeline. All that mattered was that Asriel had been gone, trapped underground. Now he was here and now he could live the life Asriel Dreemurr deserved.

Ray was also overjoyed. He was, at first, overwhelmed by how much humans there were. He hadn't been in a human town in so long... He forgot how much he missed it.

After some time the group made it to the home of Toriel and Frisk. It was a lovely house made of purple shaded brick with many vines along it as well as roses growing along the front garden. Asriel and Ray gazed at the home. It reminded them so much of their old home in the Ruins yet it was shaped differently. It seemed that it had much more rooms and, once they had stepped inside, they saw the lobby or entrance or whatever one would call the first hall was next to a comfy looking living room in front of them with a kitchen and dining area to the left in the same room. Up ahead was a small hallway leading to a bedroom, Toriel's they would find out later. To the right and behind them went a hall with several rooms along it, some used, some not.

Asgore went to his home to obtain some things for his temporary stay. His home was only a few houses down the street so he would just walk.

Toriel led Ray and Asriel into the hall to the right and a little behind, passing one room with a twin sized bed and a few posters and a desk and a dresser and a mirror. Frisk's room apparently.

The next room was another bedroom with another twin sized bed. This room had almost no décor in it.

Toriel spoke to the two wanderers and said, "This can be your two's room until we can find more room or beds for you."

She seemed disappointed that she couldn't do much better but Asriel hugged her and said, "It's ok, Mom. It's great."

Ray stopped himself from hugging Toriel and simply smiled and said "Yeah, this'll work." He was barely able to keep himself from saying "mom". He also did fairly well in hiding the cloud that had almost crossed his face from remembering his self-enforced rule to not treat Asgore and Toriel as his parents just yet.

The next room was another spare room with no bed, but that wasn't a problem for Asgore, who was happy enough to sleep on the ground with his king-sized mattress, blankets and pillow. Ray hadn't seen how he had managed to transport the bed materials into the house, but he assumed that magic had taken place in it somehow. He remembered Alphy's folding bed.

\

Later that day, dinner was served at the Dreemurr residence. Toriel, Asgore, Frisk, Ray and Asriel all sat around the table eating snail pie, salad and drinking hot tea.

Conversation mostly went around what would be done with Asriel and Ray in the near future.

Toriel of course had to ask, "So how are you two doing in your education? Have you completed high school yet?"

Ray swallowed his mouthful of snail pie (which to everyone's surprise, he ate with considerable relish) and said, "Well, me and Asriel are in the same grade. We had actually just started our senior year in high school but it was only the end of October when we left, so we didn't get very far."

Toriel seemed satisfied with their answer and Frisk was silently happy that the two weren't going to go to college in the next semester.

"Then, it would seem that you two must be enrolled in the school that we have put together here on the surface," She smiled. "Oh, you'll love it! Human history and sciences combined with Monster history and lore. It really is amazing."

Frisk smiled in agreement but also pointed out that the material was fairly strenuous given that the two races had to learn about two cultures.

Conversation went on how the school was run, the many mixed groups of humans and monsters both among teachers and staff. Frisk shared funny stories about her friends there including Monster Kid's founding of the Papyrus fan club, Mettaton showing up and giving motivational speeches to the students, Sans Memes popping up around the school.

Ray and Asriel laughed at all of it and found joy in learning about their old new friends. Ray felt so happy being here again with his family. Almost as if nothing ha-.

"Asriel, do you and Ray have anyone waiting for you where you came from?"

Ray choked on his tea. Of course.

Asgore's question had dragged Ray and Asriel back to reality and Ray had realized that while he had been day dreaming and in his own thoughts, the talk had lagged and there had been a kind of questioning silence.

It was only a matter of time before the questions began. Ray knew this but he had hoped they would wait until after they had finished eating to ask.

The group tried to help Ray with his choking but a wave of the hand and a quick gulp of water followed by some coughs and he was fine.

Asgore felt guilty. "I am sorry, Ray. I should not have asked that just yet."

Toriel gave him a look as if his apology was an understatement.

Ray took a deep breath and said, "No you're ok...I guess we had to start somewhere. Sorry about the scare." This last one was to the whole group.

After some silence, Asriel spoke up. "The answer is no, Dad...No one will miss us..."

Asgore seemed confused by this. "But I thought you said that we had raised you in that other world."

"You did. But..." Asriel couldn't finish.

Frisk asked, "Did you two do something that made everyone lose their trust in you?"

Ray looked at Frisk. His face was almost exactly like that face that had pointed a gun at her in rage and fear and sorrow. His voice had sunk into a kind of growl and his countenance had changed into a serious tone that only Sans could rival easily.

He looked at her and said bluntly, "There's nobody alive there anymore."

Frisk's voice fell to almost a whisper as she asked, "what?"

Ray looked around the group and said, "There wasn't anyone left. There was nothing but emptiness, silence and dust."

The sun sank behind the hills as night fell on the plain and Ray covered his face with his hands and Asriel began to cry silently.