seventeen

Tom didn't go home at all. In a way, he felt like he should stay. He felt guilt pressing down on him, but he couldn't stand watching his friend just... give himself up for the safety of his child. It wasn't right...

Tom didn't know how long it had been. A few minutes? Hours?

Days?

Probably not, but it felt like it.

He looked up. The sky was changing pink and purple and a whole other ton of colors.

It didn't fit his mood at all. But he couldn't stop staring at the sky. It was calming towards him.

He remembered something he read before. "Every time an artist dies, God lets them paint the sky to say goodbye."

He felt anger fill up inside of him. That commie bastard Tord. What the fuck does he think he's doing?? Why did I fall in love with him in the first place. I hate him. I hate him so much. I hope he dies soon, I hope it will be a slow and painful death.

Tom broke down again, a mess of tears, when he heard someone tap his shoulder.

"I've never seen you cry before. It's weird. Usually its Daddy, especially when I eat his food."

Then laughter.

Tom looked up, and he saw Nicola.

She was alive.

She was there.

This is a hallucination.

He looked away.

I'm just missing her too much, this isn't real.

"Hey! Talk to me!" The child said. Tom did as she asked, and took a good look at her. Her dress was torn up, she lost a shoe and her socks were in pretty bad shape. Her hair had twigs and dirt and pine needles stuck in it, and her body was full of cuts and bruises. She was gripping her left arm with her other hand, and she walked with a limp.

"You're... not dead?"

"If I was dead, would I be standing here? No."

"But..."

Besides all her injuries, she looked completely fine. It didn't look like she was going to cry, or faint from blood loss, or succumb to any pain.

"But what?"

"You fell, and we couldn't see you..." Tom trailed off for a second. "How did you get back up here?"

Nicola turned around. Then Tom saw it-- a small pair of bat wings. "I flew!" She turned around to face Tom again.

"It took you such a long time..."

"Yeah, well, it would've been easier if you'd helped me. Do you know how many times I fell?" She paused, like she was counting. "At least 2."

Tom smiled, and pulled Nicola into a hug.

"Edd misses you, lets go bring you home."

"Ok."

There was some silence.

"And Tom! I heard you say one of those 'swear words' Daddy doesn't let me use for some reason. He said 'Tom doesn't swear, so you can't'... or something."

Tom looked down at Nicola.

"Don't you dare swear," Tom said, and apparently it scared her.

"Ok!!!1! I won't!" She said and kept walking.

~

The look on Edd's face when Nicola entered the room and gave him a hug was heartbreaking. It was silent, Edd didn't say anything at all. He couldn't. He was too caught up in the fact that his child was okay...

It didn't take long for the room to become joyous again.

"Hey Pa," Nicola said, "Look at my arm!"

Nicola showed her arm to Matt, which was broken in three different places.

Edd screamed, and Nicola laughed.

"Thats not funny Nicola! We need to bring you to the hospital!"

"Oh! But Daddy, I also got little bat wings!"

Edd looked to see that her dress was ripped where her wings came out. "I just bought you that dress..."

"Dad, I nearly died today and all you do is complain about the fact I ripped my dress."

They all laughed. "I was just joking..."

Edd looked to Tom. "Please bring her to the hospital though. Like, right now."

Tom nodded and picked Nicola up.

~

She got a couple stitches here and there, and had to stay for a few hours longer than Nicola wanted. The doctors said they should keep here there for a day or two, but Nicola didn't want that at all. She came home earlier than they should have.

Tom stayed over Edd's house that night, not wanting to go home just yet.

:)

she's alive after all