Chapter 2 SHIELD

Allie

~~~

Waiting for the bikers and Lorelei to ride off was endlessly frustrating. I had to allow the villains to get away, to have a head start.

Once they were out of sight I set Nicole and Jonathan on their way in their abandoned convertible.

They rush off in the opposite direction of Satan's entourage with a selfie, a black mask, and the promise not to post anything or go to the news for twenty four hours.

~~~

In a convenience store bathroom the Siren melts away and is replaced with Phoenix.

The old suit was an armored version of what I wore in the battle of New York. A metal purple corset, with reinforced fishnets, and the same mask and boots.

My old, only worn once, suit is kept in my bag and my new, stolen from Tony, suit is pulled out. I imagine Tony and Bruce created it in secret while I was asleep.

The new suit is a black kevlar body suit, red thigh high boots, a red corset styled breast plate, and metal long red arm bands. It's all decorated with swirling fire designs, as if it is who I've become.  Most likely it's all fireproof and there's probably a million tricks up it's sleeve.

There is no mask with it.

My eyes narrow at the sight of the fire-like costume and lack of a mask. This is how I'm seen now, a raging fire willing to reduce my enemies to ash and then be reborn from it.

If this is how I'm viewed now I might as well own it.

~~~

On the road again, this time as the Phoenix, I ignore all speed limit signs as I attempt to catch up to the bikers.

The radio is playing so I can keep an ear out for my troupe of soulmates hunting me down.

The Extremis churns under my skin and the desert sun scalds down on me, but yet I feel so cold.

In the rearview mirror I can see my eyes glaring orange and red. I force myself not to look and to concentrate on the road.

A thick black choker is wrapped around my neck and has been ever since I left, I can't stand to feel as if I've donned a collar but even more so I cannot imagine the world seeing the brand.

Idly I reach up and itch under the necklace, irritated by the mark.

That's when I see it: a dark blur on the horizon.

"What is that?" I grumble and squint at the fast oncoming black mass ahead on the road.

And then there's a blinding flash and a swirl of magnificent colors directly in my path and what appears to be an armada of black suvs.

"Not again!" I shout in frustration. This happened a week ago in the same way.

Metal scraping metal fills my ears as I slam the breaks and yank the wheel to swerve out of the way. The car skids and sand billows off the ground. The suvs do the same and we both come to an abrupt halt, neither of us hitting the light storm.

I watch in awe as the lights dissipate to reveal a warrior kneeling in the center of a picturesque symbol.

It was the Bifrost, the rainbow bridge.

The warrior woman from the Bifrost holds a sword in hand and stands to face the other group.

The passengers in the suvs have all stepped out with guns aimed at her. They're clearly agents of some sort. The group seems more interested in her than me, which is understandable.