Chapter 4 Take Aim

Allie

~~~

The pain is mine, how can I give it up? I've been taking pain ever since the day they decided my divided schedule, since I noticed the tension between Tony and Steve, and since Bruce wanted to keep me away. I couldn't help myself, I didn't want them to hurt, they deserve to have a painless bond. I'm the reason there is pain in the bond, it's my fault and they shouldn't have to share in the pain.

"Siren?" My eyes shoot to the boardwalk above the lab and land on Agent Coulson.

"Agent." Phil smirks and waves his hand, beckoning me to follow. I nod and exit the convertible, going up the spiral stairs, and following him further into the 'bus.'

Phil leads me into the Command Center where Sif stands looking at the holotable.

"These are files of every police report within 100 miles of where you arrived. Everything from the last 48 hours. When you want to sift through the information, you just-" Phil motions to help her but she swipes on the holotable expertly.

"I'm familiar." She waves her arm over the holotable going through the reports before he can explain at all.

"If it helps Lorelei left the gas station with a biker gang," I chime in and Sif hisses.

"So she has men, we must see what else she has acquired," she murmurs.

Sif brings up an incident report about a robbery at a convenience store with ease while Phil gawks.

"It's an antiquated system we and other realms had ages ago." He huffs then sighs in understanding. His eyes nervously go over to me for a moment before he poses a strange question to Sif.

"You've...visited other realms, seen different species, aliens. Have you ever encountered any that were...blue?" She nods still looking through the reports.

"Yes, of course."

"Which ones?" he presses.

"Uh, Interdites, Levians, Pheragots, Kree, Sarks, Centaurians, some Dysoma are even born blue. The Frost Giants tried to conquer your Earth a millennia ago, but Asgard drove them away," Sif rattles off and I raise an eyebrow. Why is he asking about blue aliens?

"Oh, well, thanks for that. And the others, have any of them been here recently?" She looks at him and sighs.

"Rest easy, Phillip, son of Coul. None of the others have ever visited Earth," Sif assures. She moves something on the table and there is a beep. Peeking up I walk over and peer over her shoulder.

"There. A robbery of jewels."

"And there. A gun store robbery by guys on Harleys," Coulson adds.

"The gang she picked up at the gas station," I conclude sourly. I should have tried to stop them there.

"It's happening faster than I feared. She's amassing men, gold, weaponry..." Sif trails off, her expression now dire. "Lorelei is building an army."

~~~

Soon after the dramatic pause for the effect of Lorelei building an army, I was ushered down the spiral staircase by May and Ward.

~~~

"Traced the men to a biker bar called Rosie's Desert Oasis," Ward reports as the lab doors slide open and we step inside. Apparently the engineering nerd has new weapons for his team. "Probably where Lorelei's hiding out. Meeting a SHIELD convoy there in 10."

Fitz grins widely at us and holds his arms out over a lab table full of guns.

"Good. Then you can show off these beauties," Fitz brags, his eyes are glued to Ward. He seems to be waiting for the man's approval. Ward whistles and claps his hands appreciatively making Fitz glow.

"These all Night-Night guns?" Ward inquires.

"Based on the same technology, but we're not calling them that anymore," Fitz answers and award picks up a handgun.

"About time."

"Their called ICERS, Incapacitating Cartridge Emitting...uh," Fitz trails off as Ward powers up the gun and aims it.

"They're great," Ward praises as he does a quick aim for practice. "And you lost the ounce." He claps Fitz on the back as they both smile.

"And I tripled the stopping power,"Fitz brags and playfully hits Ward on the back. Ward grunts and frowns slightly. I chuckle and when the burly Agent throws a look I give an innocent smile.

"But I did realize after our run ins with Mike and Centipede..." He lifts up a large gun inadvertently pointing it at May. Instinctively I lurch forward and very foolishly 'soccer mom' Agent May.

"Whoa," May hisses and reaches around me to point the barrel away and then places a reassuring hand on my shoulder.

"Sorry. Um, that we needed something stronger, better," Fitz says with a small stammer.

"Sorry Agent May, bad habit," I apologize and step back. She gives a nod with a thin smile.

Ward carefully takes the gun from Fitz's hands and examines it.

"Would these weapons work on me?" Fitz goes still and the agents gazes all shoot over to me. "With the Extremis, would they work on me?"

"I-I'm not sure, I'd have to do a few tests but I don't-"

"Right! Guess we'll never know, forget I said anything," I jump in cutting him off. The mention of 'tests' threw me. To clear the air I step forward and scoop up a simple handgun. With one hand I hold it up and take aim for practice.

"Do you know how to shoot?" Ward asks and I smirk.

"One of my first lessons when I joined up," I say and cock the gun. "Always had a natural knack for aim, won a lot of carnival games as a kid, but Nat still says I need practice. I have a shake in my h-" Halfway through I shoot a test vial on a table across the room and it shatters. "Had a shake in my hand."

That's when I notice the flare of Extremis in my hand; the shake is fixed. Quietly I set the gun down and cross my arms.

"Send Tony the bill for that," I mutter and back up. It's unnerving how the Extremis has fixed all of the psychical problems I used to have to deal with.

May side eyes me but picks up a handgun, arms it and takes aim.

"Thought you didn't like guns," Ward comments.

"No, I always say if I need a gun, I'll take one," May corrects.

"Ah."

"We'll need these. When you're up against people who are being controlled, sometimes it's hard to distinguish friend from foe." She adjusts her grip and her face goes dark, she's been through something awful.

"This way, we can take out either," Coulson speaks up from behind us.

"Where's Lady Sif?" Right as Fitz poses the questions she drops from the catwalk above the cargo bay dropping down behind Coulson with a loud thud.

"Shall we?"