Chapter 13 Insight

Gabie

~~~

There is a tapping at the door of the bond, Allie is trying to contact me again. She's been trying to ever since I last spoke to her after the honeymoon.

I told her the truth and then disappeared.

~~~Flashback~~~

"So many recommended books," I mutter as I examine my table height stack of parenting bestsellers. "This is gonna be great."

Crossing my arms I shake my head and turn my back on the glaring stack and instead draw my attention to the recorded Leverage episodes calling my name.

Five minutes into episode three she bounces into my thoughts.

In her mind I can see the catalogue of sweet moments and the second half of the honeymoon surprisingly went smoothly without me there.

"Nice job on the honeymoon, buttercup," I praise.

"Thanks I managed to reign in my bouts of rage, insecurity, and random spikes of terror," she replies.

"You're getting better but remember-"

"Healing isn't linear and I'll have relapses, yeah I get it and I'm changing the subject," she interjects and I can feel her growing unsettled. "So...I know you're officially on leave and unofficially MIA, but I figured you're probably bored out of your mind," she starts and I sigh. This is her 'I need a favor' voice.

"It's not like I have anything else to do besides go to my appointments and make art," I reply. "I've benched myself."

"Which is why I have a job for you. Since Darcy is dealing with Jane traveling the world and winning Nobel Prizes and Skye is hunting this Clairvoyant guy, I am down two hackers..."

"What do you need?" I deadpan, but my interest is piqued.

"I need a background check on a guy I think Steve could be friends with. Steve's decided to move to DC along with Natasha, though they'll be living separately, and I don't want him to be alone while I'm away and Natasha is on missions so I wandered down to the VA because who better to be friends with Steve than a veteran who could relate to him, right? And while I was there I saw Lottie! She does Stark Industries liaison work there and then I met this guy who works there and does talks and runs therapy groups, Sam! Gabie he's perfect for Steve! He didn't even bat an eye when I introduced myself and he's so funny! But before I conveniently friend set them up I need to make sure he's chill and that's where you come in." Allie pauses her rambling to mentally picture his face for my view and then continues. "His name is Sam Wilson and he works at the VA. He was in the Fifty-eighth, Para-rescue unit in the military," she supplies and I hum. Through her eyes I can see she's outside Fury's office and pretending to be on her phone.

"Background check? Sounds like fun, alright I'll look into Sam Wilson," I agree and grin. I've been meaning to practice my computer skills and I've got the time now.

"Thanks Gabie! I really want this friendship to work out, I have a great feeling about Sam."

"Yeah yeah, I'm sure they'll be bromancing in no time," I remark sarcastically. "Now go and catch up with Steve before he kills Fury over some stupid thing or another." The super soldier and my sweet soldier have recently been working with SHIELD along with Natasha and Steve tends to butt heads with Fury on a daily basis.

"Shit! You're right! Bye!" Shaking my head I roll my eyes and pull out my computer.

Maybe this online search will lead to some real, but safe, investigative action.