Chapter 23 Memory

Allie

~~~

"Where did Captain America learn how to steal a car?" Natasha asks with a smirk. We're driving to New Jersey in the truck Alex hid the shield in and technically we stole it. Steve is driving, Natasha is lounging in the passengers seat with her feet on the dash, and Tony and I are in the backseat. Thankfully Alex picked out a truck with a backseat. I'm slumped in Tony's arms, laying on the seat more than sitting.

"Nazi Germany," Steve remarks and Natasha hums. "And we're borrowing. Take your feet off the dash." Natasha raises an eyebrow but listens to his request.

"Alright, I have a question for you, of which you do not have to answer," Natasha starts and tilts her head, "Though I feel like if you don't answer it though, you're kind of answering it, you know?"

"What?"

"Was that your first time going undercover?"

"That bad, huh?" Steve mutters and I smile, it was that bad.

"I didn't say that," Natasha defends but Tony snorts and ruins her stance.

"Well, it kind of sounds like that's what you're saying."

"No, I didn't. I just wondered how much practice you had," Natasha elaborates but it's clear she's teasing.

"I don't need practice," Steve insists, slightly annoyed.

"Everybody needs practice," Natasha states and I nod in agreement.

"It was not my first time going undercover," Steve deadpans.

"You can't count when we went to the museum," I interject and he frowns.

"Why not?"

"You didn't have to talk to anyone and that kid totally made you," I explain cheekily and Steve grimaces.

"Alright fine, I guess it was. I have never been on the run before."

We all chuckle and fall into quietness, none of us having much to say. I'm aimlessly staring out the window watching the changing landscape, my mind blank.

There is something about this situation that is bothering me. I feel like I should be remembering something but I cannot think of what it could possibly be. I saw or heard something in all the chaos that triggered a bell in my head but not enough to make me remember. I feel like I should know something no one else does but I don't know why or what it is.

Exhaustion is weighing on me and I find my eyelids fluttering. Sleep is calling me or more like dragging me down. I'm so tired.

My eyes drift shut but before the darkness takes me I hear my soulmates start talking again. I crack my eyes open to look at them.

"Nobody special, though?" Natasha queries and fear rushes in my heart, we are the special someone's. Nat glances back and me and corrects, "a friend I mean."

"Believe it or not, it's kind of hard to find someone with shared life experience," Steve replies after chuckling.

"Well, that's alright, you just make something up."

"What, like you?" Steve asks and Natasha shrugs.

"I don't know. The truth is a matter of circumstances, it's not all things to all people all the time. And neither am I," she explains.

"That's a tough way to live," Steve comments.

"It's a good way not to die, though," Natasha points out.

"You don't have to live like that anymore," Tony interjects and for a moment I remember how they first met. They met under false pretenses when she was sent to spy on him.