Chapter 1 Death Valley

Allie

~~~

"Do you think he'll be alright?" The woman, Nicole, asks and my hands tighten around the steering wheel.

"I'm sure he will," I say, not at all confidently.

We've been tailing the car at a safe distance, chasing after her husband, Jonathan she calls him, and the "medieval" woman.

"He loves you after all," I reinforce and she smiles.

"Yeah, we're soulmates. We met two years ago and the first thing he thought about me was 'God she is so out of my league but I'm sure I'll marry her'," Nicole sighs nostalgically.

"That's romantic," I comment and idly flip on the radio.

"The search for Allison Hollden continues as someone looking like her was just spotted fleeing a motel in Death Valley with an unfamiliar woman."

"Ugh this is supposed to be a music station," I groan and flip the station angrily. Internally I'm swearing and railing, but for the sake of Nicole I stay calm. If Gabie hears or sees that broadcast she'll surely know where I'm going, after I deal with this situation. The station switches over at the end of a song and then it's just more talking people.

"I know we're supposed to be a pop song radio, but all we can talk about is the soulmates of Allison Hollden," a man gushes. "How could we not Ashley?"

"I know right Rick!? In that footage we could see four soulmarks! Four!" the woman, Ashley, exclaims to Rick.

My foot slams the breaks before I'm aware of what I'm doing and before the car even comes to a complete stop I throw myself from it. Nicole calls for me but my mind is overcome with chaos. The ground is hard beneath my and my fingers claw the sandy dirt.

The footage, it revealed all my most precious marks. The marks, they're always something I've been proud of, something I've shown off but now? Now the world has seen them, seen them while I was at my most vulnerable.

"But who are her soulmates? I have my suspicions as do most of the Phoenix's fans," Rick drawls and I claw for oxygen that isn't there.

"Oh yes I think one person we all know, Tony Stark. What else could anyone think? I mean they met at a private lighting of the tower, he offered her a job immediately, he threw a ball for her and one for her friend, she's been spotted bouncing around his company, she was at his Malibu mansion the night of the Mandarin attack, and the huge stuffed rabbit that was pulled from the rubble addressed to her from him? What else could that mean?"

"Tony I'm sorry," I cough out and close my eyes tight. He could go down for this, be scorned for this.

"The age difference there? It's hard to ignore," Rick replies.

"She's nineteen now, they met when she was eighteen, and they're soulmates Rick," Ashley deadpans.

They're voices just play in the background as the priority in my thoughts is breathing.

"Alright but anyway who do we think are the others? We have seen footage of Thor saving her life as well as her clinging to Captain America several times during the fight in New York."