Chapter 22 Getaway Driver

Alex

~~~

Sighing I lean my head back on the headrest and idly stare out the window. I have nothing to do. I didn't bring a book or anything and my only phone is a burner.

One upside is that Steve left his shield with me.

"Being the getaway driver is no fun," I grumble and my stare turns into a frown at the parking lot full of cars.

Minutes tick by with nothing happening besides cars parking or driving away. Nothing piques my interest until two men dressed in all black come into my sight as they stalk down the rows of cars. They are walking in the opposite direction of the mall and they hold no bags so they are not returning shoppers. Their pace is relatively brisk and their eyes scan over each and every car as they pass.

They are looking for something...or someone, or more than one someones.

Ducking down I crawl into the back and crouch down between the front and backseats. Using the rearview mirror I keep an eye on the pair, trying to decide if they are in fact a threat to me.

As they get closer my stomach churns with fear and anxiety; I have to do something. If these men are SHIELD agents I can't just let them find me and by extension the shield.

"Fuck," I curse and grab the metal frisbee before very carefully opening the side door. I only open it enough to slip out and once that is done I slink around to the front of the vehicle. The agents didn't see me.

Looking down the row of cars I spy a red truck parked with the bed facing me; the driver backed in unlike many other shoppers.

Glancing back to the pair of men I find them not much closer so I dart down the row of vehicles bent down to try and stay out of sight. Once I reach the truck I step onto the jutting out trailer hitch and use the extra height to lower the shield into the bed without a sound. After the shield is placed I step down soundlessly and take a breath.

"This is it!"

The agents found my car; they are too close. I have to lure them away from Cap's shield and from the heroes new getaway truck.

Moving fast I send a message to Stark and then promptly snap the burner in half.

Next I have to get the agents away from here but I cannot make it look obvious that I am luring them away.

"Time to run," I utter to myself, stand up, and then sprint out from behind the truck and down a next row of cars. My feet hit the ground loudly and I'm no longer hiding so I know the agents will see me as I flee.

The sight of a blonde girl dashing from the scene has both agents shouting and pursuing.

"Siren! Stand down!"

I will not be able to outrun the agents for long and even so I shouldn't try. They think I'm my sister so they will not be afraid to shoot me down.

Zigzagging through parked vehicles I keep moving until I'm very sure that we are far from the truck and then I stop short and spin around with my hands up. The pair of agents slows to a stop as they near me but they still have their weapons raised.

"Siren? You think I'm Siren?" I laugh, deciding to play dumb. "That is so crazy! You know I get that all the time!"

"Who are you?" the first agent barks and I take a breath, willing myself to hold up the act and not break down.

"An innocent shopper you've just run down with guns! Who the fuck are you?" I counter indignantly.

"Agents of SHIELD," the second informs shortly.