Suicide

"I still can't believe you have pet rats."

I set the fat little black one down, watching him sniff the towel.

"I've had them for over a year now and each time you come over you say that."

My best friend, Sapphire, set the little white one down. I hand him a Cheerio and he snatches it out of my hand. His brother does the same.

"But who in their right mind would have pet rats?"

"They are very intelligent, understanding creatures. Renegade and Laundry love cuddling and helping me study."

"But they are still rats."

"Come on, Saph. We have this conversation every time. Let's just put them back and get to studying."

I take Renegade back in my hands, walking him over to the cage where the oldest rat, Irony, is sleeping in the hammock. Sapphire lets Laundry go back in the cage and shuts it.

We each squirt hand sanitizer on our hands. My phone buzzes in my pocket.

"Who is it?"

"It's a text from Julien."

"Your twin?"

"Yeah."

"Is it about the trial?"

I don't regret telling my best friend about the whole situation. I needed somebody else to bounce ideas off of. What lawyer to hire, what charges to bring, that kind of stuff. With Saph's help, I managed to find someone who is willing to take the case and is confident Julien will win.

"I'm not sure. Let me read it."

Spawn Of The Devil: I can't do this anymore

Emerson: Do what? What's going on, Julien?

Spawn Of The Devil: Life sucks. I can't take it anymore

Emerson: Wait, what are you saying?

Spawn Of The Devil: It all just needs to end

Emerson: Julien, talk to me. What needs to end?

Spawn Of The Devil: My life. I'm just one giant screw up. Everyone hates me. I'm a dirty piece of sidewalk scum that people love to use and take advantage of.

Emerson: No you aren't

Spawn Of The Devil: You just don't want to have to live knowing that you were the last person I spoke to before I killed myself

Her words paralyze me. Kill herself? Why didn't I see this coming before?

Emerson: I'm on my way, everything is going to be okay

Spawn Of The Devil: Too late.

Emerson: What did you do, Julien?

Spawn Of The Devil: Goodbye, Emerson. Forever

I call her, listening to the ringing while I throw on my shoes and grab my keys.

Dammit ! She's not answering.

I try and call again and Saph looks at me concerned.

"What's going on, Em?"

"I think my sister is going to kill herself."

When she doesn't answer the second time, I call 9-1-1.