Daze

I look at my twin sister, tubes running up her nose and an IV running into her body.

What made her do this? Could I have stopped it? Would she be still at her dorm doing who knows what if I had seen the signs earlier?

Antonio's leaning against the wall, staring at her with guilt in his eyes.

"What happened, Antonio?"

My words snap him out of his daze.

"Before you freak out, we both consented."

"I don't care that you screwed my sister, Antonio. I already suspected that. I want to know what happened after. How did she seem?"

"She said she was hungry. I went out to get food. She was perfectly content when I left. Then I got back and found her on the floor with a needle by her. She was unconscious."

Of course it was the freaking drugs. Julien's entire life is just one big screw up thanks to those stupid drugs.

Movement from the bed snags my attention. Julien's eyes flutter open and she looks around, confused.

"Oh Julien! Thank god you're okay!"

I know I can't really hug her without touching tubes and fluid lines, so I settle for squeezing her hand lightly.

"Wha-what's going on here?"

"You overdosed on heroin."

"I what?"

She's confused. It's just the meds wearing off.

"You shot up with heroin and overdosed. You were trying to kill yourself."

This statement makes her sit up, her eyes going wide with anger.

"I wouldn't kill myself. I'm not suicidal."

I pull out my phone, pulling up my messages and showing her.

"You texted me and said you were going to kill yourself."

She reads through the messages, her eyebrows closing in on each other with each line of text.

"I didn't send you any of these messages."

"What's the last thing you remember?"

She rubs her forehead, thinking.

"Uh, Antonio went out to get protection and food. Then a sharp pain. Then I blacked out."

I hate her.

I hate her for forgetting.

I hate her for not getting help.

I hate her for getting into drugs in the first place.

"Hello, Julien. I'm glad to see you are awake."

The doctor turns to me.

"If you can step out in the hall for a minute, I'd like to speak with Julien alone."