Function

"Sleeping here again, Emerson?"

"If you don't mind."

"Not at all. I'm actually spending the night at my boyfriend's place tonight."

I walk over to Julien's bed, slipping off my shoes and throwing back the covers. The blankets accept me as one of their own.

"I'm locking the door. You have my number if you need anything."

"Thanks. Night."

She leaves the room, shutting off the light as the door closes.

A buzz comes from the nightstand, my phone screen lighting up. I grab it, answering the call.

"You dated Antonio?!"

"Okay. I'm hanging up now. I'm not having this discussion when I'm exhausted."

"No! Don't leave me alone with this man!"

Something's off with her.

"Why?! Is he doing something to you?"

"Besides keeping me company with stories, nothing. When are you coming back?"

She's too cheery.

"First thing in the morning then after classes. I have tests I can't miss tomorrow."

"So who is going to the trial?"

"Mr. Albright will be there and Antonio, if he wants to go."

She mumbles a question to Antonio and giggles.

"Did Antonio slip you alcohol?"

"No. The nurses gave me meds earlier. I had a nightmare and they gave me something to calm me down."

"Please put Antonio on the phone."

I am passed from one person to another.

"Why didn't you tell me that Julien had a nightmare?"

"She didn't want me to freak you out. Just go to bed, Em. I'll let you know if anything happens."

"Fine. Tell Julien I say goodnight."

"Will do. Night, Emerson."

"Night."

I hang up, setting my phone back on the nightstand. I close my eyes, hoping I get enough sleep to allow me to function.