Chapter 2: Helping Out

Warning: Signs and talk of abuse.

I stand outside of the Police Station and debate whether or not to enter. I also debate whether or not to tell my dad about what happened.

I finally enter the Police Station and walk straight to my dad's office. Before I go in, I see him talking to a little girl.

"Can you tell me who gave you those bruises?" I hear him ask.

She just shakes her head no.

He sighs and walks out of the office to find me sitting right next to the door.

"(Y/n)? What are you doing here?"

"I needed to get away..."I reply not looking him in the eye.

He asks, "From what?"

"Stephanie." He understands that Stephanie and I don't get along. A few times she's tried to convince him I was bullying her. But since he is a Police Officer he picks up all the small clues that she was lying.

"Oh. Do you want to sit in my office?"

"Sure. Who's the little girl?"

"Whitney Jameston. It's suspected that she is being abused by her parents. Please be careful with her." Dad tells me.

"Don't worry. I will."

I walk into my dad's office and sit right next to her on the couch.

"Hi! My name's (Y/n). What's yours?" I ask her.

"My name's Whitney it's nice to meet you." She replies.

"Nice to meet you too. You are very polite. I know people my age who aren't as nice as you are." I tell her thinking about Stephanie.

"Thank you, Ms. (Y/n)."

"Don't call me Ms. (Y/n). Just call me (Y/n)." I tell her, "I'm not that old!"

She starts laughing. And I join in as well. After laughing for a few seconds she winces.

I stop laughing and get serious. I ask her with a look of concern, "Are you okay?"

"Yea, I'm okay. I just hurt myself laughing."

I realize that this is a good opportunity to get something out of her. I silently pull out my phone and hit record so I can show it to my dad later on.

"How did you hurt yourself?" I ask. (I, of course know that it is suspected that she is abused. So I know that she has bruises all over her body. I just want her to admit it herself.)

"I have bruises on my stomach and arms. So laughing hurts me." She explains.

"Oh okay... How do you have bruises? Did you fall or get hit with a ball during recess?"

"No. I got hurt at home. Daddy came home and started to hurt Mommy. When he started to hurt me, Mommy pushed him off."

"At what time did your daddy come home?" I ask

"Late at night. Mommy was helping me with my homework."

"Okay. Do you want to draw something?" I ask pulling out some paper from Dad's drawer and pull out some crayons from my backpack that I keep here when I get bored. During this time, I turn the recording off and put it in my back pocket.

"Sure! I love to draw!" She exclaims.

I giggle and hand her the supplies. She gladly takes it from me and starts to draw.

"I'm thirsty. Do you want me to get you some water as well?" I ask her.

"Yes please." She replies.

"Okay. I'll be right back."

I exit the room and try to find my dad. I find him talking to some co-workers. One of them was Jason's dad.

"Dad?" I call for him.

"Yes (Y/n)? Do you need anything?" He asks.

"Actually, no. But I got something you need for your case with Whitney Jameston."

"What is it?" He asks.

"A recording of her admitting the fact her dad is abusing her and her mom." I say pulling out my phone.

"How did you get this (Y/n)?" Jason's dad asks.

"I told her a joke and she started to wince at the pain of her laughing. I then realized I might get a confession out of her and started to record our conversation. Here I'll show you."

I got my phone out and showed them the video.

"Wow! (Y/n) Good job!" Dad compliments me.

"Yes! Thank you, (Y/n)." Jason's dad says, "We've been trying to get some information out of her since this morning. Now we have enough evidence to put her father in jail."

"No problem! Just helping out. Now if you excuse me, I have to get two waters and get back to a little girl."