Chapter 9

"Are you okay?" Blaine asked with concern as he picked his book bag up off of the ground, slinging it over his back, and making his way out of his English class.

"You honestly don't need to check up on me after every class, you know," Kurt's voice came through the phone.

Blaine ducked into an empty hallway and leaned against a wall. "I know, I just – you still seemed a little shaken when we talked yesterday, and again when I called this morning," he explained.

"I'm fine, I promise." Blaine could hear Kurt smiling as he said the words, which made him sigh in relief.

"I just feel bad that I didn't stay over the other night, and that we both had to work yesterday so I didn't get to see you then either," he confessed, sagging slightly against the wall.

"I'm the one who told you to go," Kurt reminded him. "You needed sleep, and if you had stayed, you would have spent the entire night fussing over me. We couldn't have a grumpy, overtired Blaine showing up to class yesterday, now could we?" Kurt teased, making Blaine smile in return.

"Yeah, okay," he conceded. "But if you need anything – "

"You will be the first person I call," Kurt finished with a chuckle.

"I can't believe that they're making me close tonight," Blaine grumbled. During his morning shift at the café he had been asked to do a split shift to cover for the person who had been scheduled, meaning he had to come back in that evening to close. He needed the money, so he had begrudgingly agreed, the excitement that he had been carrying around at being able to spend time with Kurt that evening dissipating as he did.

"You're being a good employee and picking up a shift that would have been impossible to cover," Kurt stated with another chuckle. "You'll see me soon enough."

"I know, and I really could use the extra hours, I just don't want to go."

"Just think about it, though. We get to see each other tomorrow evening, no matter what."

"Ah yes, the Halloween party." Blaine smiled. "Any chance you'll disclose the secret of my costume yet, Hummel?"

"Not a chance. But you'll look great," Kurt assured him.

"I better. I'd be a little upset if you made me look like a fool. When should I be over to get ready?" he asked curiously.

"Actually, I had Hannah run your costume over to your apartment this morning. She ended up leaving it with your neighbor who is apparently an adorable lady who gushed about you for a good fifteen minutes."

"Oh yes, Ella." Blaine nodded fondly. The older woman had been in the building before Blaine had moved in, and had one day shown up with a batch of cookies as a welcoming gift. The two had gotten to know each other throughout the two years that Blaine had been there, and he occasionally visited her apartment on his free afternoons to learn how to bake different treats. He even had dinner with her and her husband on occasion. "She's pretty great."

"So I heard. But yes, she has your costume. You'll have no trouble putting it on and, in fact, you should know what it is when you see it. I'll be around to pick you up at around nine tomorrow, if that works?"

"Sounds perfect, Mr. Hummel," Blaine agreed, smiling.

"Oh, and Blaine?" Kurt asked, his tone changing to one that sounded almost nervous.

"Yes?"

"This is so a date," he said, making Blaine's smile widen. "At least if you want it to be. I'd really like it to be, though."